schematics triac AC 220V LED dimmer

SmartAlarmCoLtd

Hi,

I would like to make a good microcontroller controlled LED dimmer.

Does someone have a suitable solution ( schematics) to DIM AC 220V LEd's?

Can this be done without snubber?

Some LEd manufacturers warn me their LEd lights are dimmable from 10-100% whiich seems ridiculous to use..

Are there AC 220V dimmable ceiling LED's on the market that can be dimmed 0-100%?

Appreciate all help!

Thanks and regards from Thailand

Wim

The simple answer is, this is very hard and nobody has done it successfully yet. The only good way to dim LEDs is using an external control signal such as 0-10V, DALI or DMX.

But what do you mean by "AC 220V LED's"?

There are LEDs such as the Seoul Acriche which run directly off 220V AC. Or other types of LED which use a driver unit to control the LED.

The problem with dimming "ordinary" screw in or bayonet mains voltage led lamps is that there's electronics in the lamp which needs a minimum voltage to work. LED fittings that dim smoothly from 0 need an external driver circuit which gets full power all the time and a separate control signal.

Most manufacturers of LEd lights offer dimmable and non dimmable LEd lights.So I hope and guess the dimmable LED lights on 220V AC are suitable to DIM without any problem.They often say it can be dimmed perfectly with a common triac dimmer that is sold everywhere.I could DIMD 24V LED lights with a LED Constant Current driver chip inside, that was easy with PWM output of the microcontroller, but now I need a good solution to dim LED lights that replace common 220V AC ceiling lights.I guess there is also a LED driver chip inside too make it possible to DIM the LED light?Just today one supplier told me their LED's can be dimmed from 10-100% which is of course ridiculous because then we still need to swtich them off.So hope to find some good advice how to do it with a Triac and microcontroller.The ultimate goal is to control all lights in buildings with tablet or smartphone in an easy, flexible and cheap way.Thanks in advance for all feedbackWim

one supplier told me their LED's can be dimmed from 10-100% which is of course ridiculous because then we still need to swtich them off.

Generally this means they will be off from 0%-10% and then be dimmable up to 100%, not that they will stay on when you fade them below 10%.

Archived