How to stitch two video projectors.... vertically?

mark_m

Hello all,

I have two identical HD video projectors, Viewsonic Pro8400s.

I want to create a projected image which is 1920px wide and 2160px high.

I want to split the image between the two projectors so that they are both working at their native 1920 x 1080, with one projecting the bottom half of the image, and the other projecting the top half.

(OK, I realise I want some edge blending, and that my final image may therefore not be 2160px high.)

I want something like a Matrox TH2Go but which lets the output screens be stacked vertically rather than combined horizontally.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to how I might achieve this?

Many thanks

Mark

Thank you for your reply.

I should have said that I'm PC based, and ideally want to run this from a high-end Sager laptop with a pretty meaty graphics card but just one DVI or HDMI output.

I just had a look at Millumin but it's Mac only at the moment.

Cheers

Mark

its pretty basic stuff, what id suggest is the following...

the easy way - don't blend anything, simply butt join the 2 images together. then do the content as standard 1080 video but with the content on the left hand half and big unused bit on the right. You will be working at half resolution, but each unit will be getting 960/540 pixels doubled up to 1080 which is pretty high...

play back you content on any laptop that can handle hd video in whatever program works for you and feed the output into a datapath x4 processor. configure the x4 to "quarter" the image and plug output 1 into the top proj, output 3 into the bottom one. viola - job done. nothing special needed other than the hire of a datapath x4....

ive done fairly similar stuff to this many times... if you setup your outputs centred in the frame ie extreme pillarboxed, you can plug in any standard video device and get an image. Did an instal on a 50m high castle recently where the playback switched to a live camera, nothing clever had to happen, just a basic presentation switcher and your face was 150' high.... or here laptop - datapath x4 - 2 15k projectors http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/scottishnews/4634947/Stunning-Nicole-at-the-height-of-fame.html

Option 2. You need a decent computer and media server software to both playback your video and also cut it into the right chunks for each projector and also do the overlaps and fades for the blends. for sake of ease id work with video 1920 / 1920 as this gives you a 240 pixel overlap for the blend. Theres a massive choice out there and it depends on what computer you have available, if you have a mac, qlab will do this and can be rented for peanuts. Id use Catalyst, but that's expensive and somewhat daunting at first. You can also look at VPT which is free and fairly powerfull and its a fairly endless list of software.

You still need to output 2 separate feeds and you can either use multiple graphics cards, or you can output a single super hi res signal and use a datapath x4 or matrox dual or triple head to slice it up. and as you can move the relative position of the mixes/ surfaces / outputs whatever your virtual projectors are called around in the software, once its setup it should just work...

the simple reason for down sizing is that pretty much anything will play 1080p video, so you can use vlc / powerpoint, a bluray player whatever,. the x4 will take any resolution that's within the dual link limit but its the source thats generally harder to configure, and the simple fact that the OPs asking the question tends to suggest that perhalps hes not that experienced in this area. If you read my post 1s the easy way, 2s the one without scaling, but involves software and a bit of messing about.

Theres also the issue of the content being more than 2k high which is beyond the pixel limit of many things - no idea what the limit is in say screen monkey, but often theres a 2k square barrier that you wont get past.

as far as im aware VPT will suit your needs and it will handle the resolution if your machine will but as ive said theres hundreds of ways to do this including most free and paid VJ software, and many a max msp literate boffin could knock you out a custom solution pretty quick.

Archived