MAC 250+ Major Repairs and Restorations, how?

ItsMyNaturalColour

Hey everyone...

I've grabbed a bargain (or at-least, I think it's a bargain). 2 x Martin MAC 250+ moving heads in a lovely flightcase for £300. Only problem is, they don't work.

One of the units is full of errors, and the other unit has actual lose components rattling around inside. On the plus side, they've been kept in the flightcase the whole time, so the general condition isn't too bad. I'm not sure if one of them has been salvaged for parts or whatever.

I'd love to use these guys on the road, because they seem like lovely little units.

My question is, who can repair them for me? I've tried a few Google searches, but I must be doing something wrong because I'm getting really bad results. I live in South Wales (around an hour from Cardiff), and I'd be happy to take these lights to someone for repairs. Does anyone have any idea how much it'd cost? I know it's hard to say without knowing the full condition of the units, but a rough guess would be fantastic.

I'm not attempting myself because I don't pretend to be amazing with things like this. I'm confident in all the basics, but I'd hate to tackle a light that simply doesn't work.

Other than that, does anyone have any useful info on the 250+? Where exactly does it fit into the rest of the 250 line, such as the Krypton and stuff? I know it's a nice light for the price but I'd like a bit more info.

Thanks a lot everyone,

Tom

MAC 250's are relativly easy to fix and get the errors all sorted out. The main problem is getting the spare parts as the unit were discontinued a long time ago and Martin have stopped supplying the spares.

The main problems are wireset faults and you cannot buy these any more. We make our MAC 250 wireset's from sctrach in our work shop when we fix MAC 250's here. We've managed to buy the motor plugs that fit the motors as these crumble so thay need to be replaced. Other common faults are dry joints on the Gobo/Colour sensors which cause the COER and GOBO errors after a reset.

The motors in the head are discontinued too but we have MAC 250+ ungrade kits here we strip down for parts so if you are stuck give us a shout and we can supply most spares for them.

Hi,

Happy to take a look also if you are prepared to ship. We still have a fair amount of 250 Parts in inc colour wheels etc, and also manufacture the wiresets like E-Lite do if required. North Wales based. Martin and Robe Certified

Cheers

Col

Thanks a lot for your answers everyone!

It's nice to know that there are a lot of places I could turn to get these fixed. Time to save up, byte the bullet and get them shipped off somewhere.

Just one more quick question related to the original post, how much money should I spend MAXIMUM on repairs? I payed £310 for both lights in a really nice wheeled flightcase, including mounting brackets. What are these lights worth fully working?

Thanks again everyone,

Tom

Their reselling value is negligible since they are "old" lights so your market is essentially DJ's and hobbiests who want a light; rather than hire companies. You need to decide what they are worth to you and pay no more than that; I have many pieces of technological kit that are out-of-date and have minimal resale value to others but which I'm happy to pay hundreds of pounds to have repaired/maintained simply because to me they perfectly fit a need; making the running costs entirely reasonable within the context of what they're worth to me.

I'm out of touch but the "trade" hire price on mac 250's was around £35/unit last time I looked at a budget - that should tell you how little value they have to other people

• 2 months later...

Thanks a lot for your answers everyone!

It's nice to know that there are a lot of places I could turn to get these fixed. Time to save up, byte the bullet and get them shipped off somewhere.

Just one more quick question related to the original post, how much money should I spend MAXIMUM on repairs? I payed £310 for both lights in a really nice wheeled flightcase, including mounting brackets. What are these lights worth fully working?

Thanks again everyone,

Tom

They seem to fetch around £300 - £400 per unit on Ebay in good working order, if that helps?

Archived