Why go digital

Lamplighter

We use small format digital mixers a lot.

We regularly have problems with Yamaha 03d mixers due to their age (3-5 years old) they are suffering from dying A-D chips. It's a simple fix to replace but you do suddenly get hash on the input when they go. We have had a couple of D-As go but it is a lot les frequent.

Two of our three brand new DM1000s have already failed. (dead screens) these were warenty repairs but it was a pain to be without them for a week.

James

PS This is in TV Post Production rather than theatre but it should give you an idea of longevity.

Interesting....I also have a TV Production background and in a previous job we had a pile of Yammy mixers...mainly O1V but some 03D as well. They were all hitting about 4 years old when I left that company but at that stage the downtime had been zero.

(As an aside, this isn't the first time I've come across such widely differing experiences of supposedly professional products...at least for once I'm on the lucky rather than unlucky side! Someday I'll tell you about the 40+ Phillips Grade 2 monitors I bought in '83!)

Similarly, my DM1000 (and the DM2000 for that matter) have both been fine so far, with fairly continuous use since last August....I'll be keeping an eye on things since your report though!

I guess the other thing to say though is that ALL equipment--analogue or digital--can suffer from this sort of thing. For example, most people in here find A&H pretty reliable and decent quality...but every so often you get somebody who has had nothing but bad experiences.

BTW Charlyfarly...know what you mean about the PM1D/Starship analogy...but if you REALLY want to "go where no man has gone before" have a look at the Digidesign Venue. Now THAT is a mixer I don't want to attack cold!

Bob

Brian,

With my DDX 3216 it depends on the show.

I have used it recently as a Radio Mic Submixer I used the MIDI Muting / Automation to help keep track of everything.

I have also used it as sole mixer for small bands

I have also used it as sole mixer for SFX playback using 4:1 panning in a small studio space.

I have also used it as sole mixer for conference work.

Bob.

Our 03d mixers are on 24:7 and get very hot (they have no internal fans) To be honest one fails every 2 months at most but that is getting more frequent now they are getting older. I have had a couple with dodgy faders and power supply issues as well.

I happened to be looking at one of our DM1000's just now and it looks like the second screen is also on its way out. Again this is on 24:7

Of course when you consider we have something like 50 03d mixers the actual MTBF is probably quite low!

James

With my DDX 3216 it depends on the show.

I have used it recently as a Radio Mic Submixer I used the MIDI Muting / Automation to help keep track of everything.

James

I take it that would give you one channel fader per mic, without switching layers, with a separate mixer for the band, Sfx and any stage mics.

Brian

Hi all,

Have a look at this article from Acorn Antiques in LSI:

http://www.lsionline.co.uk/news/story.asp?ID=11DXMQ

It addresses some of the issues that have been brought up in this thread about digital mixing like the size of console for the space, layers etc.

Sam

Edit: Also have a look at Soundcrafts Guide to Digital Mixing. Its quite helpful for a basic introduction to digital mixing!

Archived