AKG D88S vs the old D880

S&L

as you may have gathered, we are sorting out the mic boxes this week.I'm a fan of the D880 and I find it particularly good for male singers of a certain age - it's no longer made so I keep my eyes out for them, hoping to collect another few.

while looking for one second hand I came across a new D88 - described as supercardioid (but only in the detail not in the headline) but that's all I can find. maybe I am being thick but I can't see any frequency graphs or polar diagram. I'm wondering if this is the successor for the D880 and whether it is of similar quality.

Have a look at the specs on the AKG website, the downloads section has polar patterns and information on the "cutsheet" and "user manual" pdfs. It may help a little.

http://www.akg.com/D...0.html?pid=1574

John

John, that link appears to show details of the old d880 - KNOW what they can do. my query was if anyone knew whether there was similar data for the D88 or if anyone had real world experience of the D88. sorry if my post clear.

What you need is this http://www.microphone-data.com/ just create a login and it's free to use. I think it's still run by Rycote.

wow - an amazing resource but in this case it yields even less information than the AKG website so I'm still looking for someone who has real world experience of the D88S

John, that link appears to show details of the old d880 - KNOW what they can do. my query was if anyone knew whether there was similar data for the D88 or if anyone had real world experience of the D88. sorry if my post clear.

D'oh!! That'll teach me to check I put the right model number in the seach.

My apologies, can I claim a senior moment?

John

Archived