Simple CAD software

fluiduk

Hi All

I have just installed AutoCad 2005! And its hellish ** laughs out loud **!

Anyone know of something that is a little more user friendly! I am trying to plot my set designs

Thanks

Aaron

Use the Blue Room Search function (top right of every page) and search for TurboCAD - there's been lots of discussion about it on the forum, and in terms of price, features and ease of use you'll have to go a long way to find better.

eye, but isnt AutoCAD also a product design program, or am I thinking of a different one?

C.A.D. = Computer Aided Design. AutoCAD is ... well, the clue is in the name! :( I'm not familiar with ProDesktop, so I don't quite know what Sam and yourself mean when you talk about a 'product design program' as opposed to a CAD program.

Sorry its hard to describe- its more sort of a program you would use in schools for resistant materials or DT design.

Although it is strictly a CAD program it is really not suited to doing things like ground plans, set designs, lighting plans etc.

Hope this is clearer,

Sam

Aaron.

Installing Autocad 2005 and then deciding you don't like it is an awfuly expensive mistake.

Bad luck.

Personaly I use Autocad LT and find it very powerful and more than capable of doing anything I throw at it. There was no way I could justify the expense of the full version but I don't think I need any of the 3D modling anyway.

I originaly learned on AutoSketch, which is an even more striped down version of Autocad. It did give me a start on the Autocad syntax though which has been a great help.

Good Luck.

• 1 year later...

I'll re-kindle an old thread to mention that today I discovered a bit of free software called "Google Sketchup" which can be downloaded from: http://sketchup.google.com/

I've only just started playing with it but initial impressions are that it can do some very interesting things in terms of 3D drawing/design. The UI seems pretty simple too, compared with the TurboCAD I'm more used to using.

There a set of "Film and Stage" components but, alas, these seem fairly useless though. However, the basic software may well be worth a play and certainly might find an application in schools and amateur theatre even if not as a fully pro tool.

On that note, I see Google is also selling a "Pro" version...but I have no idea if that's worth buying!

Bob

That's an interesting development ...

Sketchup has been around for a long time (I've got an older version of it that I *ahem* found a couple of years ago, and it was very impressive back then so I can only imagine that it's got even better with time) - but when the heck did the Google corporate monster get its collective hands on the product?!

Archived