JBL SRX diaphragm replacement

S&L

I'm looking at the replacement of a horn diaphragm in a JBL SRX 715 unit.

the driver is model 2431H, diaphragm part number D8R2431, these are fairly pricey animals at £160 to £200 each.

meanwhile radian seem to make replacement diaphragms to for at half that price.

So my questions are:

1. does anyone have experience of radian products and are the as high quality as the original JBL unit.

2, where would you go if buying JBL diaphragms. blue aran, studiospares and thomann are on my bookmark list but am I missing something

3. where would you go for a UK stockist of radian parts.

I'm looking at the replacement of a horn diaphragm in a JBL SRX 715 unit.

the driver is model 2431H, diaphragm part number D8R2431, these are fairly pricey animals at £160 to £200 each.

meanwhile radian seem to make replacement diaphragms to for at half that price.

So my questions are:

1. does anyone have experience of radian products and are the as high quality as the original JBL unit.

2, where would you go if buying JBL diaphragms. blue aran, studiospares and thomann are on my bookmark list but am I missing something

3. where would you go for a UK stockist of radian parts.

no one any ideas with this?

All the aftermarket diaphragms I've tried in stuff (including JBL) haven't been up to the same standard as the originals. They seem to come back in bits more often, be it OC or the coil ripped etc. What's more is they don't sound the same, no matter what you do to them. That's not to say they are awful, just that I wouldn't want to change just one in a pair for example.

I don't THINK I've tried a radian one, but I'm not sure.

Rob

All the aftermarket diaphragms I've tried in stuff (including JBL) haven't been up to the same standard as the originals. They seem to come back in bits more often, be it OC or the coil ripped etc. What's more is they don't sound the same, no matter what you do to them. That's not to say they are awful, just that I wouldn't want to change just one in a pair for example.

I don't THINK I've tried a radian one, but I'm not sure.

Rob

thanks Rob - anywhere in particular you would use for JBL SRX spares?

I've actually just used Blue Aran for stuff like that as it's very rare I need anything so my buying power straight from a distributor is non existent for most things. I've just had a quick look to make sure they still do the same stuff as they did. There isn't half a price difference between for example a 2447 and an aftermarket one. I know it used to be high but I don't remember it being over 4 times the price. Crikey!

I've actually just used Blue Aran for stuff like that as it's very rare I need anything so my buying power straight from a distributor is non existent for most things. I've just had a quick look to make sure they still do the same stuff as they did. There isn't half a price difference between for example a 2447 and an aftermarket one. I know it used to be high but I don't remember it being over 4 times the price. Crikey!

I know - that's what I was driving at really. I was working on someone else's rig and lost the diaphragm over an hour into the show - unusual for me to lose one on a decent system at all. So I'm trying to put some recommends together and the price difference (radian $90 in the USA) seemed worth asking more questions about but it's no good fitting something that either won't last or won't sound as good. the SRX range sound great and they won't want to compromise that.

They are great boxes, the 4 mid hi's I use on some shows had a different diaphragm in one at one point and it was noticeable, That has now been rectified. I can't remember what model number they are, it's the SR***X range which is different to the SRX*** range, but it's a 2206 12inch.

Rob

Archived