Trantec S5.5 Monitorting Software Online Download?

Shillaz

Having looked at Jon's Dropbox link I see that this is a totally different package to the S3000/4000 MicProg software that I have on offer, which needs a genuine parallel port & an adaptor lead to make it work.

E2A: As the PR departments always say after a total ######-up - "sorry for any confusion"

Edited by sandall

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Just downloaded the software as I think the copy I had was corrupted, but cannot get the new version to install. Is it compatible with Windows 10 or should I dig out the old XP gear?

Finally got the suite to install on both xp and win10. I notice that the release is 1.5 but the manual is for rev 1.3. I have not been able to access any of the functions such as name change and other things on 1.5 and there is no drop down other than exit, from the file command. Right clucking on the display windows for each RX unit does nothing. Have these features been lost in 1.5 or am I missing something vital?

Edited by Wolf124

Just downloaded the software as I think the copy I had was corrupted, but cannot get the new version to install. Is it compatible with Windows 10 or should I dig out the old XP gear?

Finally got the suite to install on both xp and win10. I notice that the release is 1.5 but the manual is for rev 1.3. I have not been able to access any of the functions such as name change and other things on 1.5 and there is no drop down other than exit, from the file command. Right clucking on the display windows for each RX unit does nothing. Have these features been lost in 1.5 or am I missing something vital?

Are you working with S5.3 or S5.5 (from memory name change remotely was a 5.5 only option)

James.

Very early days yet, but I have a working prototype of a network based Trantec S5 monitoring system. It requires some soldering inside the receivers though.

I started out trying to “hack” the usb protocol as I was becoming incredibly frustrated at it being pretty much impossible to get 24 of the things to appear in the correct order. Especially if I wanted to remote them away from the pc using a usb over ip extender.

Instead my method is using a device to monitor analogue voltages inside the receivers and present them on a webpage hosted by the rack. 4 solder joints to make to each receiver and you’re away. Still in the testing phase but I have a working prototype at least. Will share more once I’m happy with it all.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All. Finally got the software running. Thanks to all contributors whose posts I have found very valuable. Now, a couple of questions and observations. I have connected 10 Trantec S5 series units to this. 7 x S5.5 and 3 x S5.3.

1. The first thing I have noticed is that using the S5.5 only, everything appears to work as far as I have tested the laptop system (Win XP SP3).

2. Connecting the S5.3s immediately cripples many of the functions, probably due to the firmware in these units.

3. I also notice that there does not appear to be a choice of full screen, size to suit or minimize in the top RH corner of the screen.

4. When the software loads, it only fills about three quarters of the screen (as mentioned, there is no means to re-size it). This could be a function of the screen resolution setting in Windows5. As is mentioned elsewhere, the RX units load in a random order, which can't be easily moved around. They won't drag and drop, the only way to re-position them is to re-plug the USBs in the USB hub, which I have found to be a nuisance and suspect that on re-loading the system, they will move.6. The software shuts down every time I change a plug or turn off an RX unit, often hanging the software

Is this the worse piece of software ever or am I doing something wrong or am I expecting too much?

Hi All. Finally got the software running. Thanks to all contributors whose posts I have found very valuable. Now, a couple of questions and observations. I have connected 10 Trantec S5 series units to this. 7 x S5.5 and 3 x S5.3.

1. The first thing I have noticed is that using the S5.5 only, everything appears to work as far as I have tested the laptop system (Win XP SP3).

2. Connecting the S5.3s immediately cripples many of the functions, probably due to the firmware in these units. [/Quote]

The S5.3 are lower specification/cost units that have fewer functions compared to the S5.5 by design.

3. I also notice that there does not appear to be a choice of full screen, size to suit or minimize in the top RH corner of the screen.

4. When the software loads, it only fills about three quarters of the screen (as mentioned, there is no means to re-size it). This could be a function of the screen resolution setting in Windows5.

I've never found a way to change this so I end up running the screen resolution to suit the application which is a horrible way of doing things.

As is mentioned elsewhere, the RX units load in a random order, which can't be easily moved around. They won't drag and drop, the only way to re-position them is to re-plug the USBs in the USB hub, which I have found to be a nuisance and suspect that on re-loading the system, they will move.6. The software shuts down every time I change a plug or turn off an RX unit, often hanging the software

Is this the worse piece of software ever or am I doing something wrong or am I expecting too much?

From memory I think the system tends to show the receivers in the order discovered by the OS - it has been a time (as I tend to use a system that is already configured) but I seem to remember deleting all receivers in device manager, plugging all in (depowered) and then powering up in the order you want them to be identified might work.

Agree this software is fairly limited (but it is getting on a bit) and compared to the previous systems I had been using that had no remote monitoring it was a great improvement.

James.

The order issue isn’t easily fixable I’m afraid. In my own situation I have 3 racks of 8. Connecting the 3 racks to a hub, or directly to the pc made no difference. Even worse, when you remote them away from the pc with a usb over cat5 extender, they change order once again.

I’m currently well advanced in developing my own alternative which may be of use though. It involves a touch of soldering inside each receiver, but it’s to labelled test points so it’s nice and straightforward (and all my units are well out if warranty!). I tried using the USB port directly but writing my own driver was never going to end well.

Instead I’m using the usb tx & rx test points (which are actually TTL before the usb chip). I’ve managed to decode the interrogation and reply commands, and work out what everything means. I’m reading this data from 8 receivers in to an Arduino Mega. The arduino is sending out 8 nice comma separated strings on the USB port, each one labelled with receiver number and containing RFA, B, AF, Mute/RX, Battery and Frequency.

I’m also using an Ethernet shield that is hosting a html webpage to display the information for 8 receivers. The idea is you log in to that IP address from a machine at front of house, and have a browser window open for each rack of 8 receivers. It’s not resizable but I’ll be sizing the page to fit 3 browser windows nicely under each other on a 1920x1080 display in portrait orientation.

I’ve also got a line graph showing rf level working too.

Longer term plan is to develop an application to use the data coming across the network in a slightly nicer way. That’ll allow for any number of channels to be monitored. It’ll give historic information on dropouts or issues. That’s a way off yet though!

I need a couple more weeks of development, but it’s definitely getting there!

• 4 years later...

Hi Everyone. Yes, it's that time of year again and panto reigns supreme...oh yes it does. Sorry, mine has now come and gone and I am currently working through the debris of this year's trantec 'demolition derby'. Except that this year, after the event, I notice that there is a new (to me) version of the trantec monitoring software v1.6.11. The usual appears to apply. No download or info. Has anyone used it, got it, does it work, is it any better than the old version......any thoughts/advice anyone. Cedd, did you ever get your system off the ground?

By the way, happy new year everyone...2023 that is!!!!