X32 at the Proms

timtheenchanteruk

They have all had dodgy sliders, not crackling as such, but volume level "crackling", ie, volume cutting in and out due to what would be a crackling slider.

Really? That's the first time I've heard of that one. Over on the mothership thread on Soundforums, with 7,500 posts about the X32, not one single person has had that issue. And the people on that thread have discovered every real (as opposed to anecdotal) problem there is...

It feels very cheap and does not feel solid to the touch

They have all had dodgy sliders, not crackling as such, but volume level "crackling", ie, volume cutting in and out due to what would be a crackling slider.

One guy got through 2 power supplies in the first year (he has only had it a year)

Consensus is that it is a good desk for the money and would be better and more reliable if they spent just a little more on it, using some better components. This would only cause a slight price increase that I feel would be acceptable if it gave more reliability.

b****cks. am I allowed to say that?

1, neither faders nor pots feel cheap - quite the opposite.

2. volume cutting in and out?...never say never but I have been working two different example fo this desk over 9 months and each desk is in regular service elsewhere - I have no problems and other users of the desks have no problems - not even a hint of what you refer to. Nor have I ever seen such a report elsewhere.

3. I haven't known of any UK or western europe problem with multiple power supply failure. now here we must be careful since there are many incoming sypplies in countries elsewhere that are far less than ideal.

I see no such consensus - blue room consensus appears to be in the opposite direction - i.e. an outstanding desk for the money and more than fine for most routine live applications that can be covered by this input/output count.

I am happy to see debate and not every desk is going to be to every engineer's liking.

I am happy enough to see a few engineers who prefer to stick to what they know and trust - LS9's aren't disappearing from theatres just yet.

I am far from happy to see unreferenced criticism. So taking your post as genuine, please cite your specific sources of:

a) a consensus unhappy with the desk

b) a number of people confirming the hitherto unknown fader problem you speak of.

c) a number of people suffering multiple or indead single power supply failures.

please keep this to the UK if you can, or at least developed western europe and north america.

While I don't own an X32, I am in the market for a new digital mixer. I have read every forum thread I could find (including the 7500 posts in soundforums X32 thread). I also have personal correspondence with distributors who sell tons of these things. I have never once heard of the symptoms described here.

The closest thing I have heard was that some early units had a design problem where the fader belt would fall off under some circumstances (like pulling the fader to the side while moving it). That was fixed quite early on. Even in this failure mode (which there were very few units effected even on the initial launch), the unit did not have any sound quality issues as a result (simply a motorized fader that couldn't be used).

While not picture perfect, the X32 launch was very successful IME. It seems to me that there are some who simply don't care for the Behringer name .... and some have good reason for this. Still, it has been my experience that these individuals do not give the mixer a honest shake. The Soundcraft Expression Si launch by comparison was filled with lockups and internal card formatting issues for a couple months. In this case, Soundcraft's past good track record saved it. I never heard one single post berating Soundcraft for their shoddy quality ..... even when they kinda deserved it.

I look forward to reviewing the links provided showing the general consensus that the X32 has a rash of issues described.

Archived