Hog II RFU

ed_ld

Hi All,

Just floating an idea around. I have the oppurtunity to buy a Hog II remote but there is very little information online about it other than user manuals etc. I know that it draws it's 24v power from pins 4 and 5 on the DMX cable used to connect it to the desk via the expansion port. I just wanted to know what protocol it actually uses to talk to the desk with?

My plan being if it was simply DMX; I could fit a Lumen Radio wireless TX card (and drop down to a 5v supply for it) and ariel into the remote and put the whole thing on a 24v battery then plug the reciever into the expansion port on the desk and hey presto! I've built a similar thing on the Grand MA2 via the DMX remote section (due to ipad wi-fi drop out problems) and it would be great if I could do a similar thing and add it to the toolbox for Hog jobs.

Thoughts?

Hi All,

Just floating an idea around. I have the oppurtunity to buy a Hog II remote but there is very little information online about it other than user manuals etc. I know that it draws it's 24v power from pins 4 and 5 on the DMX cable used to connect it to the desk via the expansion port. I just wanted to know what protocol it actually uses to talk to the desk with?

My plan being if it was simply DMX; I could fit a Lumen Radio wireless TX card (and drop down to a 5v supply for it) and ariel into the remote and put the whole thing on a 24v battery then plug the reciever into the expansion port on the desk and hey presto! I've built a similar thing on the Grand MA2 via the DMX remote section (due to ipad wi-fi drop out problems) and it would be great if I could do a similar thing and add it to the toolbox for Hog jobs.

Thoughts?

Having never use the RFU, I had to read the hog2 manual, so bear with me.

From the looks of the unit, its got a screen that has menu items restricted by fixture profiles on the desk, which would indicate 2 way control signals. This would likely indicate that wireless DMX units wouldnt suffice for this task. That said, if you would work out the protocol with a 'scope, one of the XBee long range units would suffice quite nicely. Id love to experiment with it, but I have no hog RFU to work with haha. I like your idea.

Archived