Design Applications

RemyKristine

I've been doing theatre for about 4 years now, so I know my way around making things happen, but I'm starting to get interested in design. So, I'm getting ready to start taking design, theatre tech, and stage management classes. I was wondering what software/applications for a Macbook Pro would be best for light/sound/set designs. Anything will help! Thanks!

None, no software will help you "design". Their is software that will help you create paperwork/plans for Lighting and Staging designs, such as VectorWorks/AutoCad which will help you create lighting plots and ground plans, LightWright for lighting paperwork such as Dimmer Hookups, instrument schedules ect.

Welcome to the Blue Room, Remy.

Whilst I agree that the design process happens mostly in your head there are lots of opportunities to use software to support that process. To say that "no software will help you design" is like saying a pencil won't help you draw.

'Light/Set/Sound designs' covers a huge area of activity so I'll make just a few suggestions.

If you want to get into set and lighting design then CAD sotware will be of interest. I see you are a student so you can get a lot of this for free. AutoCAD is used in every industry and is a good, transferrable skill. However, you may find Vectorworks is used more widely in our industry.

For lighting design and visualisation I use WYSIWYG but it isn't Mac native. There is a list of alternatives here

For sound you might use CAD to layout the system, or acoustic modelling sofware such as EASE

For set, lighting and sound you can use Excel to create lists, manage data, compete calculations, etc.

Drawing or image editing software such as Photoshop, Illustrator, Painter etc. might be used to help visualise a design or create media for projection, for example.

If you are taking a class then find out if that class uses a particular piece of software but my suggestion would be to start by learning AutoCAD or Vectorworks.

Like Kitlane said, AutoCAD is available on a free, three year lease for students and you can download it over at the Autodesk website. Depending on which MacBook you have, you might struggle to run some larger renders.

WYSIWYG is great, but for those on a budget or who just want to experiment, Capture Sweden have a free student version of Polar. Although it does come with it's restrictions, but worthy of a look anyway. I managed to get away with using it to demonstrate some of my A Level lighting design so if you're a bit creative it can be done.

What everybody has said is good and true, but, don't think any program will enable you to design.

In regards to lighting, get yourself a pen and a paper. Draw in your bars and grid, then start placing your lights, rub them out, replace them, it doesn't matter if it looks a mess, so long as you understand it, who cares?

Only when you are finished, turn on your computer and do a final plan on your program of choice. (you will find yourself still altering bits, but that's ok at this stage)

Once you have done this many times, then, if you wish you can start designing straight into the program because you understand it.

Always remember, the look of the show is everything. Your beautiful, A3 vectorworks paperwork will not win you an Olivier.

Archived