Alto Truesonic TS115A ... Thoughts?

chrisdwalker2002

Can I make a suggestion and I dont mind being shot down completely based on the fact they are more expensive. But I have just replaced my SRM450 with Yamaha DSR series equipment and wow wow wow!!

I can not recommend them enough. A band I gig for regularly said when we first started using the mackies that it was the best they have ever sounded (they were using some crappy peaveys) and when we did the first gig with the Yammies they were simply blown away and tbh so was I.

As I say I dont mind being shot down in flames based on the price difference but this is just my two cents worth on something to beat the SRMs.

Sorry not heard the specific Alto speakers you are talking about, but in my experience they do tend to be a very DJ set of speakers.

I have a pair of TS115A subs, and TS112A tops to go with them and am generally quite happy with them. I bought them to replace an old set of JBL passive speakers and for the smaller-scale sound jobs I do they are ideal.

They are of course at the budget end of the market so can't really compare with higher spec (and more expensive) brands but I think they stand up very well against other budget models.

Physically the subs are quite small, reasonably light and easily lugged around by one person. They make a selling feature about having threaded inserts for fitting castors however these are on the base of the cabinet so if you every want to use them you'll need to fit locking casters otherwise it'll roll everywhere. The cabinet paint comes off raher easily so they show up any minor scratches also the speaker pole mount in the top is a bit of a loose fit for most speaker poles so in mine I've replaced them with M20 threaded pole mounts for stability.

Sonically to my ear they are a little lacking in punch and maybe a little wooly/indistinct compared to top-end brands although I've never yet compared them side-by-side with better kit. These are minor criticisms though, they are an awful lot clearer than the old JBLs that they replaced!

These are of course just my own opinions and I'm primarily a lampy who occasionally does small-scale sound. I'd recommend borrowing a pair to try them out - they are worth a listen.

I have a pair of TS115A subs, and TS112A tops to go with them and am generally quite happy with them. I bought them to replace an old set of JBL passive speakers and for the smaller-scale sound jobs I do they are ideal.

They are of course at the budget end of the market so can't really compare with higher spec (and more expensive) brands but I think they stand up very well against other budget models.

Physically the subs are quite small, reasonably light and easily lugged around by one person. They make a selling feature about having threaded inserts for fitting castors however these are on the base of the cabinet so if you every want to use them you'll need to fit locking casters otherwise it'll roll everywhere. The cabinet paint comes off raher easily so they show up any minor scratches also the speaker pole mount in the top is a bit of a loose fit for most speaker poles so in mine I've replaced them with M20 threaded pole mounts for stability.

Sonically to my ear they are a little lacking in punch and maybe a little wooly/indistinct compared to top-end brands although I've never yet compared them side-by-side with better kit. These are minor criticisms though, they are an awful lot clearer than the old JBLs that they replaced!

These are of course just my own opinions and I'm primarily a lampy who occasionally does small-scale sound. I'd recommend borrowing a pair to try them out - they are worth a listen.

Thanks for that, Im also a lampy that does occasional small scale sound. Im not looking at spending a great deal on higher end stuff for this reason (I can get a pair of these, with stands for £500). Ive got the general assumption that these are generally reviewed as higher end budget speakers. Ill be replacing some 20 year old passive Carlsbro cabs.

Not thinking I can go too far wrong!

Cheers.

Archived