Helvar/ House Lighting systems and DMX

Matt Riley

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for participating in this thread. I'll try and address all the queries in order.

Sadly the Helvar system with the 910 router was specified and so a helvar system with 910 router with a mix of dimmable fluorescent and halogen downlighters is what I have to work with.

I have a Helvar 8 scene panel about 3 inches from the lighting position at the moment, so that is always a good back up if my plan to use the chamsys desk to control it doesn't work.

In terms of the reason for integrating the systems, the venue is a conference facility by week + church on Sundays, and due to a slight change in creative direction, the kind of lighting we use regularly doesn't really require a dedicated lighting op. To free up volunteers, I want to integrate things and make Sundays especially as simple as possible, so it is all run from one big execute window with big touchscreen buttons which recall the necessary states. Thus I don't mind at all if I only have preset control.

I think probably the TCP/UDP control options afforded by the 910 router would be the best solution in this case, and it looks like the chamsys may be able to be persuaded to play nicely with it without requiring any fancy interfaces or diy raspberry pi solutions!

Cheers,

M

If you wish I can send you the udp command set and supporting documentation as its hadly secret information and freely available. However its probably better manners to request it from the original suppliers as its their installation, it costs nothing and they may well have some helpful suggestions. To my mind your needs are pretty basic , all you want is the magic big button that makes a whole load of stuff happen, putting the room into the configuration required. as its a conference facility im surprised you don't have a central control system already managing this.

On the subject of houselights I wholly agree that the show starts as soon as the customer walks in, but if you want to do anything complex with the houselights, in my experience its easier to add fixtures to the stage lighting as house lighting is a different animal, doing a different job and not designed to be real time controllable. You can programme any speed of fade into a dali system , like everything else - if you learn how it works, its adaptable.

Hi Alastair,

We've still got a good relationship with the original suppliers so I will ask them first, but will keep your offer filed away in the back of my mind just in case!

Thank you all for your contributions to the thread - I dread to think how long it would have taken me to figure this out without you!

Archived