Roland m-480 router for iPad

mkc

Can anybody recommend a suitable Wireless LAN router for use with the Roland m-480 in order to control using remote software from iPad with enough clout to work between FOH mix position and stage. The Roland/Netgear dongle works fine if you are 10m or less away, eg mixer at side of stage at really small venue but connection drops out above this.

Can anybody recommend a suitable Wireless LAN router for use with the Roland m-480 in order to control using remote software from iPad with enough clout to work between FOH mix position and stage. The Roland/Netgear dongle works fine if you are 10m or less away, eg mixer at side of stage at really small venue but connection drops out above this.

If you're specifically wanting to use the ipad then you have to use the dongle, then via a wifi router. Direct cabled connection between a router and the console only works if you're using the laptop software, and is a bit of a pain to get going, even with their recommended (quite expensive) Belkin hub.

If you only want to do ipad I'd say just go out and get a generic wifi router. There are a good few posts on here asking for suggestions on good wifi hubs. The dongle allows connection using WPS, which simplifies things of your hub can handle it.

Thanks, didn't realise you still used the dongle. Thought I needed a router with USB interface.

Have just tried using a router I already own but although it shows in the displayed access points I cannot get it to connect even though I know the password! Guess I need to go buy one that supports WPS.

The router with USB interface is for use with the laptop application, and in effect all it's doing is extending the USB connection over the network. As far as the desk is concerned it's still just got a USB cable between it and the computer, it's just that the driver on the PC is presenting it to the remote control software as a USB port over the network. They recommend 2 Belkin products as being suitable for this. One is the Belkin N750db, which I own. To be honest I've never had much luck, but that's always been an issue with the Belkin drivers, not Roland's software. The ipad does everything I want to do wirelessly, so I've never really persued it any further.

Archived