Speaker Issue

PatrickLXdesker

I'm currently doing a Dance Festival and I'm using a Yamaha EMX 5000 20 powered mixer, with sound audio input from a Laptop. Due to a small budget I'm using a 3.5mm to 2 Phono plugs to put it to the desk. I'm only getting output from one speaker. I know both speakers are working as I've tested them, but I can't sound the show from the test point, annoyingly. The settings are: ST R & L, Balance is in the middle.

I have a feeling it may be a faulty lead, but are there any other things that it may be?

Basic fault finding suggests you should:

1) Plug the working cable into the non-working speaker (having unplugged it's cable first). If the speaker still doesn't work then it's the speaker that is at fault. If it now works:

2) Plug the other end of the same speaker cable into the other output on the desk. If it still works then it's the other cable that is at fault. If it doesn't work:

3) Leave the speaker cable as it is and pan both stereo channels to centre (if your desk allows you to do that). If it now works then it's the input channel that was previously panned to the non-working side that is at fault. If it still doesn't work:

4) Take the "control room" output, or "record out" or any other non-powered output (e.g. Group Out) and connect it to a powered monitor or via an extrenal amp. If it now works then it's one side of the amp that's gone. If it doesn't:

5) It's probably one buss on the mixer that is down. Assuming you're only using 2 speakers in total, link the second speaker off the first and run the show in mono.

Hope that helps.

Basic fault finding suggests you should:

1) Plug the working cable into the non-working speaker (having unplugged it's cable first). If the speaker still doesn't work then it's the speaker that is at fault. If it now works:

2) Plug the other end of the same speaker cable into the other output on the desk. If it still works then it's the other cable that is at fault. If it doesn't work:

3) Leave the speaker cable as it is and pan both stereo channels to centre (if your desk allows you to do that). If it now works then it's the input channel that was previously panned to the non-working side that is at fault. If it still doesn't work:

4) Take the "control room" output, or "record out" or any other non-powered output (e.g. Group Out) and connect it to a powered monitor or via an extrenal amp. If it now works then it's one side of the amp that's gone. If it doesn't:

5) It's probably one buss on the mixer that is down. Assuming you're only using 2 speakers in total, link the second speaker off the first and run the show in mono.

Hope that helps.

Have linked the working speaker to the non-working speaker and we now have 2 speakers. Thanks for the advice.

Patrick.

Patrick....

Do you mean you have daisy chained the speakers together? If so I'd stop and follow the steps Just Some Bloke has given you. It sounds like you've put both speakers on one channel of the desk, which could cause a problem with impedence.

Follow the steps and let us know if anything fixes it!

Archived