Software to Download

Just got a new laptop and looking to put some software on it straight away. I want things for all areas of technical work. I've downloaded the basics already such as Phantom Jester/Frog, iTunes and Virtual DJ, what else should I get?

Not trying to be funny but surely only you can answer that as to what software you want to use and for what purpose.

Cheers

Gerry

Just got a new laptop and looking to put some software on it straight away. I want things for all areas of technical work. I've downloaded the basics already such as Phantom Jester/Frog, iTunes and Virtual DJ, what else should I get?

Not trying to be funny but surely only you can answer that as to what software you want to use and for what purpose.

Cheers

Gerry

I was hoping just to have a list of programmes that I could donwload, play around with and learn more about. This would mean I already have them when I come to use them, and I'm confident with how they work.

As Gerry pointed out, this is very much dependent on what you do for a job and what you're likely to come into contact with!

Download the GNU compiler collection and learn how to program? I guess that's one bit of software you could download which comes under the remit of an "area of technical work" :P

First tell us what you do and what you want to do, then we'll let you know. I wouldn't recommend a piece of lighting software to someone who only does sound...

Give us *something* to go on please!

It really depends on what kind of stuff you're looking for... But here are a few things to try:

LX Free

Software for whatever desks you might be interested in - MagicQ, Avolites Titan, GrandMA

GrandMA also has a 3D visualiser that goes with it which is free - I'm currently teaching myself the basics of an MA desk with this

Audacity

Mixere/QLab/Similar

Screen Monkey

If you might use it for video playback make sure you have the programmes etc. you need to play back whatever video files you might be given

As a student also look around and see what you can get for free! I didn't do this until my last year as a student which was a big mistake - you can get student versions of Vectorworks and AutoCAD for free, and a lot of companies will give you significant discounts on their software.

On the subject of having a second account, I'd suggest making sure that things like windows sounds are disabled on this account, turn off notifications where possible, give yourself a plain desktop background, with as little on the desktop as possible.

Only load on what you need, as auto updates and checking of start up files will eventualy slow the machine down too much to be of any actual on site use. Clean install gig only machines save so much time in the long run.

its also a good idea to create a system image when your setup, happy with the installed software, and everything is stable.

you can then revert back to that quickly and easily every month or so.

Archived