Headphones

PatrickLXdesker

I only really use my headphones when I'm operating sound, which, as you can see from my username, isn't often.

I currently have a pair of Sennheiser 205HD's, which have been okay so far. If I'm going to do sound more often should I be looking to upgrade, or do these do the job?

In my opinion, those are pefectly decent headphones for the job. I personally use either Denon DN1001 or Sennheirser HD555s depending on whichever gets thrown in my kitbag, though the Sennys tend to get used more often due to the longer flex on their cable.

I guess it depends what you need to use your headphones for when mixing live. For me it's mainly a case of hitting PFL occasionally to check that a certain mic is picking up the right thing or chasing down a fault with RF mics to see which has died/gone noisy or whatever. As such, ultimate quality isn't really essential, just enough isolation to hear the individual channel rather than the FOH mix.

Unless the Sennies you have are giving you problems, I'd just stick with them.

The sennheisers are fine and as others have said it all depends what you need them for.

Personally I have always used the Sony V6 or 7506 since the mid eighties and the V6 is good value at less than £50 on amazon at the moment: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mdr-V6-Lightweight-Stereo-Headphones-Sony/dp/B00001WRSJ

The V6 and 7506 sound pretty much the same and I use them for most applications as my reference headphone but also have sennheiser HD25 mk and a variety of other sony models inc the V150, V300 and V800 for various applications.

I am just a few miles away near Lanchester so if you want to listen to some in comparison to your 205's just give me a shout.

I've got the Senny 205 too, they're fine headphones if a little bass heavy. They don't tend to like PFLing a Kick Drum or Bass Guitar at levels to be heard above a band but I don't expect them to!

I wouldn't want to use them for a silent soundcheck but I'm happy to line check from them and keep them as comfort monitors.

As an aside, has anyone found that now desks are smaller, there is no need for a 3m cable on the cans? I've got mine coiled at the jack end so that when the cans are resting on the desk, the lead is about 6" from the floor and sometimes that's still a load of slack.

Josh

As an aside, has anyone found that now desks are smaller, there is no need for a 3m cable on the cans? I've got mine coiled at the jack end so that when the cans are resting on the desk, the lead is about 6" from the floor and sometimes that's still a load of slack.

Josh

Yes. With the irritation that the 3m cable hooks under a corner of the flightcase your working on top off. <_< :angry:

I've replaced my Sennheiser cables with: Article-No. 052708 - Headphone cable with right-angled jack plug

For stereo headphones with plug-in connection cables. Suitable for connection to equipment where a straight plug is not suitable.

Length: 1.5 m

Connector: 3.5 mm right-angled stereo jack plug

I think I paid 17 GBP for the replacement cable, but feel it was worth it to avoid the irritation of the cable snagging and dragging the phones off your head.

I also like to keep a 3.5mm-to-6.35mm adaptor leccy-taped near the end of the cable, so I just have to coil round and plug the mini jack in when I need the 1/4 inch jack, and this usefully takes up another 150mm of slack.

<EDIT: spelling>

The only thing I'd say about 205s is that in my experience they have been horribly unreliable. I've had a few recomendations for Presonus HD7s which are also firmly in the budget side of thing.

Archived