Canford cans issue - noise and no flash

We have a Canford system wired in to the main multicore, with 3 outputs, SL, SR, and tech box. We run 3 sets in the tech box (2 f/s 1 LX) and one set SR one SL.

All has been fine and dandy until we got them on for this coming show running about like a blue bottomed baboon getting stuff sorted) and none of the flash buttons flash (not even on the master station which is a Canford Tecpro MS721) and we have a huge about of background interference noise on the system, so much so that we can barely hear each other. We only use circuit A, and the belt-packs are BP11's (bog standard and bullet proof) I have replaced the original lamps with LED lamps that work.

I don't have a huge amount of time to get this working again (properly) so if anyone knows of a problem that could cause it I would be very grateful for input.

Thank you Blue-roomers.

This is going to sound obvious but its either an equipment fault or a wiring error. You need to narrow it down, start by connecting just the master and one beltpack with an XLR, does that work? If so, plug back in master, and disconnect every station but one, does that make it better? if not its wiring. Start trouble shooting wiring using continuity tester, check for line shorts to ground.

Might be quicker to run a bunch of XLR cables and get the show on the road, rather than being right and fixing it.

It's a wiring error - probably something is plugged into the comms loop that shouldn't be, or a cross wired cable or something like that. Unplug everything, then plug things in starting with the master station and check after each connection is made.

The call light works by putting +12V dc on the audio line, if there is some unexpected load on this line then the call light won't light.

Edit... David beat me to it!!

Archived