Vertical Projection

Ian H

Anybody got any pointers -- looking for a projector capable of pointing almost vertically downwards....

20k preferred... Barco Christi or Panasonic..

Seem to recall one of the Uk dance shows had floor projection

Ian

pretty much any decent big projector can point straight down the problems generally a physical rigging one rather than anything else. we own Panasonic dz21 20ks ourselves and have a variety of other options from our own stocks. depends on what you want to do...

Thanks guys...

Plan was until a few hours ago was to use Two Barco 40k projectors mounted high over a seating block and bounced via a F/S mirror.... sadly lack of rigging points and height issues have scuppered plans A through W ... so I am now on plan Z and looking to replace Barcos with the Panasonic 20k with IproII Dual outputs to do a image split.....

Sadly guys the show is in Miami so gear will be from our friends at VER ... but just wanted some feedback on projectors....

I have never used to Panasonic 20Ks yet, but will have 14 of them out on a tour from September and was really looking forward to using them... I hear very good reports and hopefully the networking options allow lots of flexibility in extreme alignment.

Ian H

make sure that you get ones with the geo upgrade, and make sure you get HD lenses, ie the new ones , as units get sent out with the old lenses which fit and work, just not as well. We have had the units since Christmas ourselves and they have performed well on all the jobs they have been on. It was obviously a fair investment for us and looked at the various options, but it seemed that the Panasonic unit was destined to become the high end workhorse of choice, which I think it has become.

what do you mean by Geo upgrade?.... I read in manual that you have adjustable fan settings for different orientations... and have heard stories about relamping for certain projection angles ... but then I have also heard that the relamping is a bit of a con...and its just a chip on lamp that instructs fan to run at greater speed...

happy days......

Ian

The geo upgrade is similar to christie warp or similar and it allows advanced geometrics plus bitmap masking etc. so if you are doing some crazy setup, its going to be useful.

The relamping is required to do portrait projection. normally you can rotate a projector 360 up and down but you cant put it in its side. This is fairly universal with standard lamp technology, and Panasonic produce a speccific lamp set that only works on its side in that the lamps are specifically manufactured to work that way. I don't think its as simple as a chip on the lamps changing fan speeds as you can do that anyway in the menu, you are correct that you should increase the fan speed if you have rigged the unit in what they call vertical projection.

Archived