VGA Cat5

STCM_Tech

Hey Guys

So we have a set up where we run two Projectors from a laptop, at the moment we run them through a splitter amplifier then to each individual projector around either side of the room with VGA. We are looking at replacing the VGA Cables we use and I was wondering if there was any benefit going to CAT5 with VGA to CAT5 converters at either end.

Plus any recommendations on converters.

Thanks

It's cheap. (although depending on the length of cable, the cost of the adaptors may override this)

Using the Cat5 baluns can help with earth loops (noise bars on the screen etc)

As a minus point, cat5 is very fragile compared to VGA cable.

You can also get CAT5 send receivers that will run audio too. Depends if you will ever utilize that feature into your projectors/system. As stated it can be quite fragile so if your unplugging it often enough you may find yourself re-terminating them every so often. The other thing I guess is if you have an event on and the cable goes faulty, push comes to shove you can always get hold of a another VGA rather than repairing CAT5 ends

You don't say how long your cable run is, or if you are just using a splitter, or an active line driver. Improvements can be made to brightness and sharpness sometimes, but equally these might be made by upgrading your splitter. On the other hand, if you are only going short distances you are unlikely to achieve much improvement in either case. Finally, I would add that if you switch to CAT 5, as you are using a laptop, make sure that your CAT 5 transmitter manages EDID, in order to ensure that the laptop displays the correct resolution automatically.

Archived