Lighting - The Poor Relation ?

Guest lightnix

Guest lightnix

I was out on a small conference today (yes, I know I'm supposed to have "retired", but...). Anyway my services were only required for the in and the out, with the video operator running the (minimal) lighting for the event. I didn't mind on this occasion, as the venue was a hotel located in an industrial estate miles from anywhere, the others on the crew seemed quite envious that I was going to get to sleep in my own bed tonight and I'm getting paid for two full, consecutive days (plus transport). But it still got me thinking...

Is it just me or is Lighting the first to suffer when there are budget cuts / savings to be made ? Is it just me or does Lighting always get what is left over in the budget after everything else has been taken into account ?

Just wondered...

Is it just me or is Lighting the first to suffer when there are budget cuts / savings to be made ?  Is it just me or does Lighting always get what is left over in the budget after everything else has been taken into account ?

Well, call me cynical, but doesn't EVERYBODY say that?

--N

No Lightnix,

It's not just the lighting, talk to any noise boy and they will tell you same thing. "if only we had another £500 this show would really sound great" comments.........

More often than not, people just do not care what the lighting looks likem or how it sounds, as long as some lighting and some sound ( and we can here the speaker) most clients, especially the corporate ones do not give a Castlemaine XXXX. This applies to theatre also. I am lighting an opera in a few weeks and was asked last night, "If we pay you cash can you knock off the VAT", then we will have a few hundred quid extra for the lighting budget!!!

There is no hope really eh??

Archived