Software Update killed my Console?

Munro

Evening folks,

Wondering if anyone could shed any light (if you'll pardon the pun) on this major issue we've encountered today with our three year old Strand Palette VL.

Firstly, the reason for the action that appears to have caused the failure. Occasionally when executing a cue from a preprogrammed cue list the console would appear to lock up. For example, a 3 second fade when triggered would do nothing for ~0.5 seconds and then the lights would appear to snap to that point in the fade. This meant we might get a 100% to 85% snap and then a fade over 2.5 seconds to 0%. If anybody else has this issue I'd be eager to learn of it, and what OS version you were running. This is a fairly regular fault although not always repeatable! (A pain to diagnose!)

So after speaking to my supplier, we agreed that it would be wise to upgrade the console's software as it was running 10.6.6. I downloaded 10.8.6 from Strand's website and after following their instructions to the letter, didn't get the "instructions" they claimed would appear.

After this failed install (I saw the command prompt for a few seconds and then it vanished without a trace), I started the Palette software and the console worked as normal, as though nothing had changed.

From then on all I did was tinker in the network settings pane (IPs/Subnet to configure my network) before Windows crashed. Thinking nothing of it, I performed a hard reset.

When I rebooted and the Palette software launched, I discovered that I had no control over any fixtures (some levels from earlier were frozen) and the actual faders and buttons on the console it's self didn't cause anything to change on the monitor. Even though Windows and the Palette software was very much alive, the physical console and the DMX output was dead.

I attempted to perform a hardware test and the software failed to find and hardware. It appears as though the machine has lost it's driver or whatever it needs to learn that it has a console connected.

This leaves me with a limited, low powered Vista computer which doesn't output DMX instead of a lighting console.

I'm waiting to hear back from my local strand authorised service centre, but whilst I do, does anybody have any thoughts or ideas that might restore functionality?

Kindest Regards

it was running 10.6.6. I downloaded 10.8.6 from Strand's website

Not sure if this is the case with your desk, but with the Vista T2 I use I know you need to do the updates in order. So for example you can't go 10.6.6 to 10.8.6 without first installing 10.7.6. I'm not sure exactly what happens, having never tried it, but I would have thought that either the update would fail, or it would screw up the OS as the latest software references files and folders which aren't there; potentially corrupting drivers or other critical software.

Of course I could be barking up the wrong tree, but thats what jumped out at me after reading your post http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/dry.gif

it was running 10.6.6. I downloaded 10.8.6 from Strand's website

Not sure if this is the case with your desk, but with the Vista T2 I use I know you need to do the updates in order. So for example you can't go 10.6.6 to 10.8.6 without first installing 10.7.6. I'm not sure exactly what happens, having never tried it, but I would have thought that either the update would fail, or it would screw up the OS as the latest software references files and folders which aren't there; potentially corrupting drivers or other critical software.

Of course I could be barking up the wrong tree, but thats what jumped out at me after reading your post http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/dry.gif

AFAIK that's not the case. You are supposed to double-click the file and be greeted with a dialogue box asking if you'd like to install and reboot - something I didn't get with 10.8.6. :angry:

(and to my knowledge, only the current version is ever posted on their website)

Thanks anyways :rolleyes:

The Palette I was responsible for for 3 years developed a similar fault, which was caused by a USB problem on the computer tray. Get in touch with Amber at Strand UK, they are good at fixing things, I had a direct call from Strand USA to diagnose our fault.

The Palette I was responsible for for 3 years developed a similar fault, which was caused by a USB problem on the computer tray. Get in touch with Amber at Strand UK, they are good at fixing things, I had a direct call from Strand USA to diagnose our fault.

Do you happen to have a telephone number for Strand UK? I'm not having much luck on their website.

Thanks

Thanks to J Pearce and Simschr I managed to resolve the issue with strand USA.

For anyone that has this issue where the panels fail to respond, it appears powering down the console completely (unplugging from the wall) and rebooting clears the issue. If this doesn't work, opening the console and un/replugging the panels (USBs) whilst the console is on does the trick!

This allowed me to regain control of my rig and then upgrade to 10.8.6 correctly.

Cheers

Archived