Robe Plasma Spot

timtheenchanteruk

OK, what happened there then, did any one ever use them??

They looked good on paper, but the never seemed to get anywhere.

I'm not sure LEDs took the limelight, I've not yet seen an LED moving head with that sort of output (80W is the highest I've seen) and certainly not quite the punch of a 575.

any thoughts??

I take it you haven't seen Robe's DLX or DLS spots then? They beat the plasma spots for output especially in darker colours. I think the development options for them was always going to be limited to manufacturer lamp development and so I assume Robe chose to focus on LED technology.

nope, can't say I have, the local hire places seem to have gone away from Robe for their LED stock, having had a chat with them, it seems the bigger stuff they do are still specing 575s, and smaller stuff is going for LED.

We have moved to hiring in LEDs, smaller units, less power consumption which is good in one venue with limited supplies, but the biggest reason is the noise factor, the fans only run when the unit is lit, and is thermostatically controlled, in a 300 seat theatre, much nicer.

Blame the manufacturers of the lamps for the disappearing of this fixture, the problem with the plasma lamps was that it was very, and I mean very new technology, with money being pumped into it at such a rate, that the development of the lamp was going at a pace no one could keep up with.

Archived