GLD 112

soundiesam

Looks a peach to me! What always said the GLD-80 was the ideal GL2400 replacement for small venues, this is an even better fit. A slight shame that they've not expanded the input count, but it's presumably much simple for them not to. Wonder what the price premium is...?

Why do you think it's pointless?

Seems to me, that they are slowly, but surely, bringing out digital equivalents to all but the smallest of their much loved analogue desks.

It's a shame that they didn't increase the channel count as well as the size of the surface it seems that it can still only do 44 mic inputs and 48 inputs at mixdown.

I can see that they don't want to eat in to the market for the more expensive iLive systems with iDR48 and iDR64 racks.

Another pointless A&H product? What are they doing down there?!

+1 I guess they're burying their heads in the sand and ignoring the host of way more keenly priced products with very similar functionality and ease of use rolling out from roland, behringer, soundcraft etc.

Seems to me, that they are slowly, but surely, bringing out digital equivalents to all but the smallest of their much loved analogue desks.

Maybe that's where they are going wrong. I tended to feel relief when I visited a pub/church/village hall and was presented with a GL2400 rather than love, and their main market (the weekend warrior/ low end of pro live sound) is where purchase price matters most.

Of course I could have called this wrong and maybe all the brands trying to compete with disruptively priced products packing ever more features might go bust, leaving only A+H with a captive market ;)

M

Maybe that's where they are going wrong. I tended to feel relief when I visited a pub/church/village hall and was presented with a GL2400 rather than love

This is one of those "be carful who you crap on on your way up as you'll meet them again on your way down" moments.

On your way up the mixing food chain, the GLs are the point at which you do feel the love, as everything does what it should and nothing sucks. As I've noted before, if you cant make it happen on a GL, then it isn't the fault of the GL!

Now once you get up to where desks get measured in fractions of a tonne, then sure, a GL looks a little quaint, but thats still not a reason to share the love.

But on topic, yeah, the A&H offerings look a little lost in the stuff around them, both from below and in some case, from the sides. The real problem for A&H (and several of their peers) is that the X32 is good enough, is agressively priced, and so far, the X32 fleet isn't falling apart in droves. And for a bit more money the "next step up" options are well differentiated from the X32. I'm old enough to remember the British motorcycle industry, and watching what happen to them.

In January I bought a GLD80 and have found it ultimately more useful than my old GL2400. The price was right and although there were initially a few bugs and it was lacking in some minor functionality, I found A&H tremendous in addressing these issues when I contacted them.

I have just taken delivery of a QU16 and again tremendous functionality and build quality. There are still some functions which have not been enabled, no doubt due to ongoing development, but again a big step up from any of the smaller desks in my stock.

I have to say I think the GLD 80 is great im used to LS9, SD9 and Roland and I have to say I love the GLD 80. WE have bought one at work and I personally think its really easy to use and I have no problem with putting it on a corporate event or a live music show

sam

I have to say I think the GLD 80 is great im used to LS9, SD9 and Roland and I have to say I love the GLD 80. WE have bought one at work and I personally think its really easy to use and I have no problem with putting it on a corporate event or a live music show

sam

Yeah it's a good little desk. But then, so are the other 2 main little digital desks. Except they are both cheaper, and can be used without cat 5.

I also fail to see the reason for the 112 vs. the 80. In fact their entire product range seems utterly confused to me.

The QU16 is the same price as an expression 1. Why anyone would purchase the QU for anything beyond a permanent installation with no requirement for expansion is beyond me. You can argue it's aimed at the muso market, but what is the point these days of a product that does not have universal appeal?

Archived