Rigging a gauze

oliviasangster

Hi,

I have a 9mtr by 16mtr Gauze to rig. I will have 5 points across the gauze to suspend it from that will all go down to the floor via pulleys and rope. The effect we're looking for is for it to be tied up at the grid then in the final scene for the bottom to drop as quickly as possible and the weight of the conduit to starighten up the gauze filling the whole space.

Does anyone have any ideas how this effect would be possible? Looking for a cheap quick way to sort this out that will look seemless to the audience.

Really appreciate your help,

Olivia

A Kabuki drop is the most effective way - I'd do it with the gauze tied on at the top, and behind it a border-sized piece of cloth. Bundle the gauze into the cloth and hook the front end of the cloth up with Kabuki magnets so you effectively have a bag with the gauze containe within it When you energise the magnets, they'll release, the bag will no longer be attached at the front and the gauze will fall into place.

A gauze will not fall and hang "flat" as you would want it to for light-thru / projection purposes (I assume that's the reason you're using gauze rather than regular curtains) without proper tensioning / weights / lower bar conduit but any weight added to the bottom like that would be an absolute no-no from a kabuki drop / released drop safety point of view. Since gauze is also slightly stretchy and with a 9m drop your weight is going to reach maximum velocity you'll find yourself tearing, deforming and just generally damaging the cloth quite badly.

You need to choose between the 2 options - do you NEED a gauze (if not, switch to curtains and thus the weight issue vanishes) or do you NEED the flat tensioned surface (in which case a kabuki drop or any other uncontrolled drop is out of the question) you're not going to get both I'm afraid.

A 16m header by 9m drop gauze is quite big for a space that has a grid height of 6m and is 17m wide wall to wall.

They only way to get a gauze to be dead flat is to fly it on a stretcher frame, which you cannot do. The header has to attach to full length bar, you would not be able to attach it via five points. As Tom has said, dropping a gauze with conduit in may cause horrible things to happen.

You need to re-think what you want from the effect, and then come back to the forum.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived