Similar Kramer VP-474 Equivalent

samhatcher

Hi,

I'm looking for an equivalent to the Kramer VP-474 to switch between two different sources, but the main functionality I'm looking for is its ability to switch with a 'transition', rather than just a snap transition which most switches seem to do, so if I'm doing a presentation, and need to switch between laptops, when you switch between sources it will do so with a fade or such. Unfortunately though I can't afford £4000 for the Kramer unit.

So my question is, if there something similar that allows you to switch between sources, but that has some sort of transition or effects when switching between sources, rather than a snap, which is a little cheaper.

Thanks in advance

Sam

if its just 2 sources you can use a Tvone 750 dual scaler. as its a dual bus unit, you can crossfade smoothly between sources. The unit itself is possibly one of the most user unfriendly almost impossible to set up via the osd things known to man so its worth setting it up from a laptop over rs232 using the Corio software.

Id also recommend the spark dvi mixer as its got a crossfade and a fade to black - if that's what you need its a neat solution http://sparklive.net/dfuser/ you can buy the controller only or a package of controller and the 750 processor. The unit has an encoder and display so its not as horrific as the tvone osd, but I still programme the resolutions on a laptop and save it as a preset, as the ones you can set with the spark don't allways suit.

You wont get anything that does more without adding a 0 to the price, its limited to only 2 sources, but it does scaling, keying pips, etc etc and if its a fade between 2 sources at HD resolutions its an option.

Many Thanks :) I'll look into both of those. In general, these 'seamless switchers' seem to extremely expensive, and I don't really see why, there not doing anything that complicated are they?

Sam

What are the inputs you are looking to switch?

The Atem TVS might be an option but is not quite the same as a seamless switcher and would require converters if you need to scale the inputs.

On the plus side you get a whole load of additional functionality for less money.

Thanks,

Tim

the reason a true seamless switcher is expensive is because to crossfade between 2 sources you need to scale them to the same resolution then sync them. its not as easy as switching and therefore you pay for it. The budget option is the tvone / spark controller already suggested, probably the next best option is the 747 with tbar which you have already ruled out... The atem / blackmagic unit is cheap, but its not that usaable without the hardware controller which costs more than the processor. Its also wont do 1080 /50p and you cant do any scaling on the unit as its more of a camera mixer that you can connect hdmi equipped laptops to and the lack of vga for me would rule it out. Does loads for the money though...

+1 for the 729 - we bought one for our venue at just under £1k, fantastic device for the money.

Offers 2x VGA in, 2x HDMI in, 4x Composite or Component in, audio on board, VGA & HDMI out.

Brilliant.

vp 728/729/30 etc great units, but single scalers. ie when you switch the signal fades to black, switches over {in darkness so no glitching} and then fades back up again to the new signal. What the OP wants is a fade between sources, and that's why you need the dual scalers.

Archived