Dolby Stereo connection question

lxkev

Hello

At my venue we have decide to start showing films through Filmbank. We want to have Dolby Surround, with a very-tight budget.

Current config of our PA is MAIN FOH LCR, LCR fills and a Mono feed to 3 speakers at the back for surround (Can be run individual if needed) controlled from two Protea 4.8SP

I need a simple "cheap" solution, so have been looking at:

SDU

So my question is can I simply take the analogue L+R from our Blue-ray player and hook it up to the SDU4, or do I need to encode the output from Blueray player?

Other option find a blue-ray player with analogue surround output or use something like this to decode the digital output this - Which may result in running another few cable to our drive racks and creating some new presets in the Protea 4.8sP

Any advice appreciated...

Moderation: Putting a URL as a title is not very useful. I have put in a title, and the original link is below

link

If your bluray player has a simple stereo output then yes, it should work, and you'll get something like surround audio.

I don't think you can call it Dolby surround in your advertising, as it isnt, it's home Dolby. Buy given you have a LCR plus surround setup, it should fit quite well with what you have.

You could get a "propper" second hand Dolby processor, they appear all the time on eBay, but it will probably arrive configured for cinema use, with separate sub output etc.

alternative option would be to get an A/V amp with proper dolby decoder, I have a Pioneer VSX-922 in my livingroom which I have used once for Decodeing dolby digital from optical output, feeding the speaker outputs into DI boxes, then into the desk.

alternative option would be to get an A/V amp with proper dolby decoder, I have a Pioneer VSX-922 in my livingroom which I have used once for Decodeing dolby digital from optical output, feeding the speaker outputs into DI boxes, then into the desk.

There are also a few home theater receivers or preamps that have line level outputs of all the surround channels including the .1 LFE channel. Denon has a quite pricey one with XLR outs, but cheaper versions will have RCA outs.

Expensive Denon: http://www.daleproaudio.com/p-13084-denon-dn-500av-surround-preamplifer.aspx?gclid=CICIncTe17cCFYKd4AodwxgAXg

Less expensive Yamaha: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v775_black_u/?mode=model

Mac

I need a simple "cheap" solution, so have been looking at:

SDU

So my question is can I simply take the analogue L+R from our Blue-ray player and hook it up to the SDU4, or do I need to encode the output from Blueray player?

That would take the stereo output which will have a fall back matrix encoded surround in it and decode it. It's a very expensive way of getting 10 year old surround technology.

Given you can't claim Dolby surround unless you are certified anyway which you can't be if you are showing from Bluray from Filmbank the better way would be to spend a little more money and buy:

http://www.aandcaudio.co.uk/denon-dn-500av-surround-pre-amplifier-p271535

You can then run HDMI from the Bluray player to that unit. However if you can cope with unbalanced outputs it would be much cheaper just to replace your Bluray player with one that has analogue 7.1 outputs which decode the discrete Dolby True HD or DTS Master Audio tracks from the Blueray. For example:

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/

both of these solutions would decode the discrete 7.1 Dolby True HD or DTS Master Audio tracks from the Blueray rather than rely on the analogue matrix encoding which gives you L+R + low bandwidth centre and mono surround channels.

The Oppo can be had for £500 or a bit more if you want it modified to be multi-region and multi-zone.

Archived