Looking to buy a wifi router

Manuel1975

Having been disappointed with some of the 'big' brand names (Netgear, Linksys to name the two main culprits) I'm currently using a Billion Bipac 7800N at home - it's one of the most solid ADSL wireless routers I've ever used, so I recommend having a look at Billion's product range to see if there's something in there to suit your needs.

I have a number of Asus RT-N10U and RT-N16 which get used as desk APs (N10s) on their own or as part of a larger WPS/Mesh network all running DD-WRT. They're bomb proof IMO and handle serious amounts of data (for a £30 router you can't beat the N10 IMO)

Josh

I like ubiquity PicoStation - it is an enterprise grade wireless access point, not a router, and has the tools inbuilt to configure it to operate in the best available channel(s) for your location with it's inbuilt 2.4GHz spectrum analyser. It can also be configured to create mesh networks, wireless bridges etc.

I use an Apple Airport Extreme which I've used several times with an Ion and I've never had any issues. Worked first time, great range and can deal with lots of traffic. It's not the cheapest (by any stretch of the imagination) but I've seen a few people using them before too.

I am however looking at changing to the Airport Express in the future.

While on the subject of routers, I recently got a TP link router that had good Amazin reviews, however it seemed to only score about 4Mbs on speed test sites versus another router getting 12Mbs. It appears that many routers can be boosted considerably if you stop using their auto settings and choose specific options like a single bandwidth. After making these changes the speed shot up to 13Mbs!

Another useful tip for boosting your home ADSL connection speeds is to disconnect the largely redundant ringer wire at the master socket. Most modern phones only require the two (blue/white) wires to operate, and the redundant ringer wire that was required to prevent tinkling of older bell phones just acts as an antenna for noise that gets coupled onto one leg of your ADSL connection.

The first question is really "What is it for?"

They really do have different features that can either help or hinder you depending on what it's being used for.

For example:

If it's for connecting a Wifi remote app (iOS, Android etc) to your console, in most cases a wifi router that has an Ethernet WAN port (often blue) as well as LAN ports (often yellow) requires much less configuration.

- In many cases the factory-defaults are correct! (Though you should of course set your own wifi and admin passwords).

For other tasks, it can be more difficult to set up correctly and not all of them will work for all tasks.

For a LAN-only 'router'* or if your wifi devices actually need to be on the LAN (no router in between them and your wired devices), then the features and available configuration options for them matter a lot more.

- Many have 'limited' settings which may matter greatly depending on the specifics. On consumer ones, it's pretty common for the internal DHCP server to have a fixed subnet mask, or even completely fixed subnet.

* Eg "ADSL Router", means it's not actually usable as a router unless connected to ADSL.

Massive TP-link fan, never had a problem. Use them for chamsys vnc, artnet, ls9/m7cl ipad control, sennheiser wsm etc.

Main router I use is a TP-Link WR1043ND

http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/?categoryid=238&model=TL-WR1043ND

4 Port Gigabit switch and 300mbps 802.11N wifi

For an application which is less than 1KB/sec, getting a gigabit wireless router is like cracking an egg by strapping it to the front of a bus and driving it into a building. I use that router myself at home, and have had issues with it locking up when you use the wireless too much. Other tp-link stuff I've used is okay though. Could easily get away with just a normal wifi version with 100MB network rather than the 300MB / Gigabit networking.

I just use a wireless access point and a switch, both netgear and haven't had a problem. We currently use the network for an X32, a PC (running freestyler) and a number of ipads/iphones. It is purely a LAN for the lights/sound with no internet access, the Router/modem part doesn't matter.

The network needed setup with fixed addresses (as there's no DHCP server) but when you are trying to talk to something directly this is a bonus.

If it is only one device you wish to talk to hardwired with no internet then a wireless access point on it's own will probably do.

I think mine is this one: http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/switches-and-access-points/access-points/WG602.aspx#

For rock-solid wifi look at Ubiquiti - enterprise grade but without the usual price tag.

For long range, Microtik's APs are worth a look too, but I've found they can occasionally have odd issues with iOS devices :/

I went to buy a airport express because it is robust, has an internal power supply and is very small and the guy at the store told me that the gain you have with an such a dedicated device is small over the wireless network one can create using a macbook because the antenna is located around the screen, so its very big, and thus has good reach...

Anybody has experience with this "in the wild" ?

Archived