Cat 5 digital multicore

adam_824

My main cables are VDC, but I've also used some cheap stuff off the market that I've "installed" in a few regular venues. No problems at all, though none of these are particularly long runs.

Roland's own cables are of the crossover type, which isn't the norm for touring cat 5's. That said, it'll actually use 1 to 1 cables perfectly happily as it auto switches. There's a tick box somewhere in a config menu (think it's the one you have to enter with a special key combination on power up) that enables this which should come ticked by default.

I'm currently using 75m Kelsey duracat without a problem. Also heard good things (from the Blue Room) about Thomann's cheaper ones.

Cracking desk! Love mine to bits. Think you'll be very happy with it.

I've bought a box of cat 5 and started leaving it in venues. Takes another hour or so first time round, but then it's in for good.

Roland's own cables are of the crossover type, which isn't the norm for touring cat 5's. That said, it'll actually use 1 to 1 cables perfectly happily as it auto switches.

I'd actually forgotten that - caused me a headache when I first got my desk, as I wanted to use a drum with sockets in the middle for my main run & short cables from the drum to the stage boxes so that I could split them up. I couldn't decide which cables would be best as the crossover part & ended up making up some little adaptors. To be honest, I'm very glad that they're not needed.

Hi Adam. Roland have applied the IEEE standard of device connectivity which requires crossover between devices. However, the M-480 also uses AUTO-MDI which senses whether a crossover cable or not is being used. The key point here is if you want a guaranteed 100m run on REAC from Console to Stage Box then definitely buy the REAC CAT5 W-100SR from Roland as this will work the full 100m distance flawlessly. Some CAT5e cables are stranded and this reduces the long distance transmission. The REAC cables from Roland also feature Neutrik Ethercon connectors.

Archived