What should my Roboscan "lens" look like?

vasolene

Good afternoon,

I am a complete lighting novice.

I've recently bought a Chauvet DMX controller and two Martin Roboscan 812s. ( ...and .... and )

I have the original 812 user manual but haven't found any reference material online - hardly surprising for old kit.

I've had some excellent customer service from Dennis at www.live-lighting.co.uk

... but I think I should pester someone else now.

I have found the 812s very straight forward to work on and have successfully (*) replaced a stepper motor and restored full movement to both units.

* The tilt motors now move in opposite directions.

This is a very happy accident because I intend to use them for glorified uplighting and want the 'beams' to move away and towards each other rather than moving parallel to each other.

First question: what have I done wrong to make this happen? Will it do any harm if I continue to use it like this?

I would prefer to work with both fittings on the same DMX address for simplicity's sake.

I have got a single phase reversing cable between controller and fixture one but it's a conventional cable between fittings one and two.

Any suggestions welcome.

While I was reassembling, I 'juggled' the screw in lens fitting.

The outer half of the lens popped out of the platic tube.

It seems ok and after reading about glue on this forum I'm pretty confident about replacing it after a good clean.

My question concerns the other end of the lens fitting.

There is a metal plate held in place by four globs of (failing) glue over the inner lens.

It doesn't look like a manufacturers part. The central circular hole has been pressed out 'properly' but the outer edge has been cut down to an octagonal shape that (just) fits where it touches.

Is this a modification or the original method of retaining the second lens portion?

It look like it will be 'blocking' quite a lot of light from reaching the lens.

Do these forums support photos? I'll try an upload one as an edit.

Cheers Richard

Your lenses are correct, as they came from the factory! :)

Your DMX cabling is spot on - reversing cable from the controller and standard between fixtures. It's a Martin thing, they are dual standard and were intended to be run from one of a couple of dedicated Martin controllers that use RS485, which was a kind of forerunner to DMX, but they also built in DMX compatibility as it was becoming more widely used.

The mirror issue is probably as simple as connecting the stepper motor connector back to front - or something along those lines :** laughs out loud **:

The 812's are virtually indestructable when it comes to plugging the stepper motors in, AFAI can remember, you can even get the mirrors and gobo/colour wheels mixed up and it doesn't do any harm. just try switching the connections round.

Apart from your 'opposite' mirros you have everything spot on fine and dandy :D

Thank you.

A pile of 'birdie' cans and a dimmer pack arrive soon.....

I'll have to learn carefully the basics from the "Power" section before I buy more (old) powerful lanterns.

Cheers

• 7 months later...

Hi,

Please tell me, how many lens does the focus ring has inside?

I have 3 Roboscan 812`s and 2 of them have 2 lens, while the 3`rd one has 3 lens inside the plastic focus ring...

So which one is the right one>?

Thank you.

A pile of 'birdie' cans and a dimmer pack arrive soon.....

I'll have to learn carefully the basics from the "Power" section before I buy more (old) powerful lanterns.

Cheers

Archived