Digital Dilemma

medina

Hi,

I have an LS9 16 and I keep running out of channels, I cant decide if I should get an expansion card for the Yamaha or flog it and buy an X32. I'm thinking of going down the X32 road because the stage box is pretty cheap compaired to the yamaha one if I get one in the future, but the yamaha is realiable and most enginners can use and are happy with it. Any Thoughts?

Also whats a good price for a secondhand LS9 in near perfect nick?

Thanks

LS9's are everywhere and they aren't going anywhere anytime soon. there is one on ebay 2nd hand today for £3,400. with a new price of £4,100 from thomann, this second hand figure may be a bit ambitious but if there was demand for one and you were patient, I don't see why one wouldn't fetch £3,000. I would imagine the market for them will stay stable for a while yet - there aren't enough x32's out there yet and there are too many engineers who are happy enough with LS9's - and too many small theatres etc that have them installed.

on the other hand to my uneducated hands and ears the x32 is more intuitive, enjoyable to work on and most importantly sounds better - it's subjective but there are plenty that are saying they like the x32 reverbs over the LS9's etc - personally I always thought the LS9's sounded harsh somehow

whether you sell and buy an x32 I guess depends on the features you would want. lots of people are now saying the service back up is better from behringer.

for me, I would sell the LS9 in a heartbeat, buy an x32 and put any difference aside.

I've already seen a couple of venues flog their LS9s and get x32s. I also know plenty of engineers who, despite working on them all the time, still despise the LS9. Personally I'd take the x32 route but I'd obviously recomend trying before you buy, it's a very nice desk and I was pleasantly surprised by how it sounds.

The LS9-16 is Physically a better size than the standard X32, I know someone who is particularly waiting on the X32 Compact before moving over from the LS9 to the Behringer.

You lose that size advantage if you then have to add pre-amps, typically in a 19" format

As a regular LS9 user, I'd go X32. Cards and proper (remotely controllable) preamps for the LS9 will likely cost as much as the X32, and the X32 has some very usable features that the LS9 does not. Or get a GLD (which may or may not be worth the extra money).

Archived