Boots and Combats!

Just a workwear question (yawn)

I need some new combats as I've recently been struck with a chronic case of the 'crotch rip', looking for something black/desert and lightweight/breathable but pretty durable...seems like to get durable you have to go with pretty hot heavy duty thick combats. Just wondered if people had a favourite brand or places to buy online.

Similarly with decent boots (ETA Just found a thread on boots).....just spotted the Caterpillar Supremacy range....yum. pretty great for work but a bit pricey at £90-£110

Where do you buy your workwear??

Cheers

Just a workwear question (yawn)

I need some new combats as I've recently been struck with a chronic case of the 'crotch rip', looking for something black/desert and lightweight/breathable but pretty durable...seems like to get durable you have to go with pretty hot heavy duty thick combats. Just wondered if people had a favourite brand or places to buy online.

Similarly with decent boots (ETA Just found a thread on boots).....just spotted the Caterpillar Supremacy range....yum. pretty great for work but a bit pricey at £90-£110

Where do you buy your workwear??

Cheers

Craghoppers (via sports direct) for combats, and Terra for boots

My last two pairs of craghoppers suffered for 'crotch rip', nothing that couldn't be repaired but annoying none the less. I bought a fairly robust pair of Mountain Warehouse own brand ones (if I remember correctly) that seem pretty solid, reinforced patches on the knees and tough fabric. Not super lightweight like craghoppers but certainly much better than heavy cotton.

Wickes look to be selling "Scruffs" brand trousers. I haven't bought any yet, but they do 2 pairs of trousers for £24.99 here. The "lite" part of the title suggests they might be reasonable lightweight, although they won't take knee pads. Still, it's not a bad price for 2 pairs of trousers. Worth a trip to the shop to see if they've any on display at least.

Personally I own a pair of the lined Craghoppers which I wear at work in the day job. I spend a lot of my time attached to the side of aerial towers and they're great for keeping the cold out. Theatre-wise I've got a pair of Dickies working trousers with knee pads (now very covered in paint) and a pair of Snickers "pirate shorts" (shin length). Both of these pairs are great, though I think I prefer the Snickers ones - double buttons and generally feel far more robust.

Boots-wise, again I spend all day, every day at work in a pair of Sterling Cobalt's, which I really like. I've also had Terra Ronza's and liked them too. The need for a composite toe was the only thing that moved me away from them.

Craghoppers trousers and Magnum Stealth Force 8.0 WPI with compsite hard toe-cap for boots. Love the craghoppers as they dry out pretty quick if you're caught in a downpour, and they're breathable and fairly lose fitting. I've always been a fan of Magnum boots, and have had many pairs over the years including a pair that saved me from a broken ankle thanks to the Vibram (if I'd been wearing my steelies that day, I'd have had a broken ankle).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived