Mackie or Yamaha

pdherring

Has anyone ever done a shoot out between the Yamaha DSR series and the Mackie HD series?

Either that or has anyone got any better suggestions? Need a new set of 18" subs and 12" tops, has to be powered.

Thanks

Two of my regular High Schools have recently bought DXR12's on my recommendation. They're great cabinets for not a lot of money. I've mixed their school shows on them and really can't fault them. The local I/O is really useful for the occasional simple PA requirement, and the line out is capable of being just one channel to allow for simple stereo set ups with one speaker as the main mixer and the other as a slave.

I have no experience with the Mackie HD series however I do own 4 of their older Italian made cabinets. Can't fault the 3 that are still working, but the 4th failed just out of warranty. Never been able to source a spare part, not even direct from Mackie. They're still lumbered with the Pub Band label and (personal opinion) I don't think they'll ever make significant inroads in to the truly professional market.

I appreciate your time! I have two sets of Mackie srm450v2 and love them think they are very good for the money. That said when spending approx 3k I would be very nieve to not look at other options. My gigs are anything from a pub band to a full theatre set up so they need to be able to handle volume and sound quality.

I've heard lots of people moaning about Mackie, but we've had 4x SRM450's since 2007 being used fairly frequently (and bashed around for that matter) and never had any issues with them, they sound great indoors and outdoors and my only real fault is they can get a little bright when your turn them up loud, but not to an extent you can't EQ out. I've also got some of the SWA1501 Mackie Subs which perform pretty admirably as well, never had an issue, can't really compare against Yamaha, but the subs deffinatly sound more solid than equivalent HK Audio Elias PX Subs which I also use. Hope this can be of some help.

Archived