Sound desk router

simploerob

We have a netgear router plugged into the back of are m7 that we run are iPads off.

We are looking at having an Apple TV put on the system as peope are wanting to use the iPad on stage direct to screen.

Can we use the same router or will this delay the response time or interfere one way or another?

I'm also looking at a new venue running an x32 with the same set up ( apple tv) but with the possibility of a kramer v729 with remove access ( can't see it being used but some one might want the option to remote acces the video switcher.)

Any help would be great thanks

Simon

Personally I'd try it then if it is problematic then consider a 2nd router.

I always make one large network for shows personally running everything: artnet DMX streams, sennheiser wsm, ls9/m7cl remote access, ipad vnc to several computers, internet access if available, ip video streams to backstage etc. and I've never had a single problem with latency or bandwidth conflicts.

Personally, I would run a dedicated network for the task. Simply because I wouldn't normally want the randomer on stage giving his powerpoint via Ipad being able to mess up the rest of the systems.

If you already have a show PC/Mac which is wired into the switcher you might like to consider reflector.app as an alternative to investing in an apple tv (which can be temperamental when plugged into production switchers). You could also run an ad-hoc network from the computer for airplay purposes.

Also VLAN's to keep the presenter on stage away from the desk etc. Sensible thing to do would be to get a really powerful router like the Asus RT N16. It won't struggle at all as long as you don't also use it as a public hotspot for the punters, but even then it would probably cope. Flashing with DD-WRT gives you many more features than the stock firmware, including the ability to run an Asterisk server, which the router can actually do!

I always make one large network for shows personally running everything: artnet DMX streams, sennheiser wsm, ls9/m7cl remote access, ipad vnc to several computers, internet access if available, ip video streams to backstage etc. and I've never had a single problem with latency or bandwidth conflicts.

My Bold.

I find this idea quite scary. We are seeing more and more computer security issues and "hacktivism" is becoming a much larger issue. The idea of people attaching dedicated control networks to the internet seems to be asking for trouble. As an industry it is only a matter of time before we will have an incident...

Personally, I would run a dedicated network for the task. Simply because I wouldn't normally want the randomer on stage giving his powerpoint via Ipad being able to mess up the rest of the systems.

If you already have a show PC/Mac which is wired into the switcher you might like to consider reflector.app as an alternative to investing in an apple tv (which can be temperamental when plugged into production switchers). You could also run an ad-hoc network from the computer for airplay purposes.

Hi matt thanks for the suggestion will have a look into reflector.app

At my workplace we have 3 M7CL's that are on a huuuuuuge network- in fact, all of our audio travels over it, all of our artnet lighting, internet, various computers, you name it! So far we've had no problems, maybe we're just lucky...!

What sort of hardware is running the network though? If it's all on good quality managed hardware then it's not surprising that there's been no issues. Try putting it all through some £30 Linksys units and then see how long it lasts.

Networks can be big and complex handling loads of data quite happily with careful setup. I agree with the notion of using Asus RT-N16 routers. I've found them to be bomb proof. In terms of WiFi though, if you want the ultimate in ranger and flexibility, look at the Ubiquity stuff. We use it for some quite long distance links (2-3km) for streaming audio on sites and they've been faultless.

Josh

My Bold.

I find this idea quite scary. We are seeing more and more computer security issues and "hacktivism" is becoming a much larger issue. The idea of people attaching dedicated control networks to the internet seems to be asking for trouble. As an industry it is only a matter of time before we will have an incident...

There is a well known story in Scottish theatre of an early practitioner of running sound cues off his laptop in a rep theatre. During less challenging shows, he was wont to log onto the theatre's wi-fi and check his emails. South African by origin, he checked his mail during a performance of 'A Streecar named Desire' and found he had a mail from a pal back in the home country, telling him about the safari holiday he'd just taken, along with some photos. Only they weren't photos. They were video clips. So, when he clicked on them, the auditorium was filled with the sound of... elephants. To this day, to say 'A Streecar Named Elephant' will still raise quite a laugh in a large number of Scottish theatre folk (possibly not including the director...) up here.

Archived