EV PL33 Kick Mic?

dickiefunk

Hi,

I'm looking to add a kick drum to my mic collection and really wanted to just go for something cheap around £40. After doing some various research and listening to some clips I noticed that whilst some sound passable they have too much background hiss!?

One option that looks like a possible option is the EV PL33 but I can't find a great deal of reviews for this mic?

After that there are mics such as the AKG Perception 2, MXL A55, Avantone Mondo and Shure PG52 which are all around the £100 or under.

Does anyone know how the PL33 compares to the other mics I listed? Would there be a better option under £100?

We have one of these in our hire stock and they do very well actually - for the price they're very very good.

The prices for the EV have actually dropped since March to bring in retail price in line with the rest of Europe so you'll find this mic closer to your budget at £58.31+VAT+postage.

regards

Paul

Hiya

EV N/D868

AKG D112

Shure Beta 91

EV PL33

Are the most common mics I've used on a kick. They will all sound very different depending on the PA, the kick drum itself (whether tuned correctly), whether the front is closed or open, the drummer, the room, the time you have to EQ/Gate/compress...........

The PL33 is the least impressive of the bunch and if I had the choice I'd choose the D112 or Beta91 followed by the N/D868 then the PL33. But it is the cheapest and the old saying you get what you pay for is as true in this instance as almost any other. The PL is going to be roughly £100 cheaper than all the above but you may not notice if the PA kit being used and the drum itself is in the same sort of budget? I say this in the nicest possible way - and probably no need to go spending £200 on a kick drum mic if your using budget desk and speaker.

The PL is still a very decent microphone, especially for the money and will knock the socks off any other mic for this job at a similar price. For best results, gate it and EQ it at least.

Hope this helps.

..for me the shure beta 91..the ONLY bass drum mic that works out of the box - on a decently tuned bass drum, no eq needed at all - plug and play - the first time I tried one and put the fader up before eq'ing, I had the broadest grin on my face.

..for me the shure beta 91..the ONLY bass drum mic that works out of the box - on a decently tuned bass drum, no eq needed at all - plug and play - the first time I tried one and put the fader up before eq'ing, I had the broadest grin on my face.

It's quite nice that a microphone can make someone smile :o) I agree S&L the Beta 91 is superb - but for the money the PL33 is probably best in this price range. The price difference between these two? Shure £233.00 EL33 £107.00. So, dickiefunk: either buy the PL33 or save up for the Beta 91.

The PL33 costs £75 new which seems like a good price.

Two other mics that I'm very interested in are the Avantone Mondo and MXL A55. Heard these in RecordingHacks kick drum shootout and these were my favorites along with the Miktek PM11.

The Avantone Mondo costs £105 in the UK and the MXL A55 costs £109!

Anyone used either of these on here?

Now go and use the original SM91, with the square preamp. You'll be more than grinning.

Now go and use the original SM91, with the square preamp. You'll be more than grinning.

Dont tell him that- you'll absolutely ruin his Beta for him, he'll never be happy with it again.

• 1 month later...

Archived