External Sound Card / MAC

MidlandsAudio

I have been looking at upgrading my current external sound card which is an M Audio Mobile USB. Mainly used for, outputs L & R for playback and 2 x inputs for analysers. I've had a look around....there is a lot of choice. I'd like to try and steer away from jack outputs if possible. Would need to be ruggied and of high audio fidelity, can be USB or firewire and in the ideal world not made out of cheap plastic. Proper experience with the recommended box - Not a quick search on google and reply.

Thanks in advance.

I use the M Audio Mobile Pre for mobile recording and also with my measurement mics to feed into analysers and I've never felt the need to change or upgrade. I'm not sure you'll get a significant improvement without spending a lot of money.

However, if I was going to replace the Mobile Pre now, I'd probably get a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. I've used one several times (borrowed from a friend) and it sounds good, has a nice control layout, is bus powered (like the mobile pre which is good on location and helps avoid problems with ground loops) and isn't too badly expensive.

If your pockets are deep, you could look at the RME Babyface. You'll be paying for extra digital ins and outs that you don't need but the sound quality is excellent and the ins/outs are on a breakout cable, designed so you can use it in a carry case when out and about--and the analogue outs are XLR which may suit you.

Being honest, I drooled over the RME but decided, as nice as the sound is, it's not enough better to justify more spending over the M Audio or Focusrite--but if your pockets are deeper than mine as a poor pensioner, it's worth a look.

I recently bought a Scarlett 2i4 for playback duties from SCS in order to make up a more portable playout system than my rack-mounted server. I went for that one over the 2i2 in order to get six outputs. The main two are on jacks, with the other four on phonos. Inputs are on XLR / jack combi sockets.

For me, it does what it says on the tin and just works and sounds fine. The jury is still out on whether the big volume knob on the front is a good idea in this particular application.

Archived