Varytec Gigabar

peza2010

They are exactly what I have and mine are flicker free (even on camera) and the dimming curve is quite smooth, although the bottom step from off to low is still a jump. I have a dozen, kicked about, dropped and trundled around in a flight case, and had one dry joint on one, which cured itself the next time it was knocked. The only concern I have is that the IEC loop-through sockets on a couple need a firm hand to seat the connector. For the money, I'm very pleased with them. I emphasise they've not been remotely well looked after.

Surprisingly, quite a bit of the lower end stuff seems to be coming as flicker free at the moment. I know a place that has some low end Chauvet bars which look good on camera.

However, most of the low end supplies will say "yes our products are flicker free and camera tested" BUT, most don't know the meaning of flicker free or a proper camera test.

So I'd say, get a demo unit and camera test it with the cameras you will be using for the show. Or at the least a proper broadcast camera, and preferably a broadcast vision guy! You will also find different makes/models of camera see slightly different colours. For example, the Sony cameras see an awful lot of blue!

Thanks.

Joe - While broadcasters may well have budgets to try different camera chains with particular lighting products, the idea of hiring in a broadcast camera for a test seems to run a little outside of the typical production looking at these products. Nobody mentioned broadcast anyway, just TV safe?

The camera side of things is fine and dandy, its just if the fixture flickers on camera. colours not a problem either as the camera shoots RAW footage.

your reply was perfect paul - thanks.

the use is actually recording of a music video, so my question of tv safe should have been camera safe. good to hear they have held up to a bit of a beating, and low end stepped dimming is not a problem for my application.

cheers, George

Most broadcast cameras have a proper 'full-frame' shutter, while most HD consumer and 'pro-sumer' video cameras have rolling shutters.

Rolling shutters usually don't 'flicker' when an LED fixture isn't suitable for them, you usually see a bright horizontal section rolling up or down the frame.

So hiring a broadcast camera when you're going to be using consumer/pro-sumer rolling shutter gear (or vice-versa) would tell you nothing at all!

- Equally, for broadcast you need to check what happens in both progressive and interlaced

If video behaviour is a very important factor, you need to try the fixture with the camera you'll actually be using - not one that is considerably better/worse or uses a completely different technology.

Archived