IPad output to projection problems

soundo26

Hi,Does anybody have any ideas on this problem? I work in a college where we have various theatres, had a lecturer in this morning in our main theatre who had an iPad which he'd used in some of the other theatres without any problems. we have SVGA inputs on each lectern which are fully working and tested. When the iPad was connected we could not get any display output. We have since tested with a PC, all is fine, the output from the iPad is standard 1024x768 so is not over-scanning. We tested the iPad with a standard monitor and it works fine! anybody have any ideas please?

Just guessing, but could it be something to do with the refresh rate? I've come across laptops set to a very high refresh rate that a projector won't cope with. I'm not sure what kind of refresh rate the iPad has though, or how you'd go about finding it out.

Just guessing, but could it be something to do with the refresh rate? I've come across laptops set to a very high refresh rate that a projector won't cope with. I'm not sure what kind of refresh rate the iPad has though, or how you'd go about finding it out.

Checked that one, the iPad outputs at SVGA 1024x768 as standard so well within the system capability. Apple products tend to be very flaky for external connections due to their "intelligent" display ports which interrogate whatever is connected, if they don't like what they see they tend not to output, this is great if you are plugging a monitor onto it, but if it's a system with DAs, interfaces etc it tends to be a bit hit & miss!

Checked that one, the iPad outputs at SVGA 1024x768 as standard

That's the resolution, not the refresh rate. The refresh rate will be 50Hz, ^0Hz, 65Hz, 70Hz etc ...

so well within the system capability. Apple products tend to be very flaky for external connections due to their "intelligent" display ports which interrogate whatever is connected, if they don't like what they see they tend not to output, this is great if you are plugging a monitor onto it, but if it's a system with DAs, interfaces etc it tends to be a bit hit & miss!

My partner had absolutely no problems connecting her mac book pro to a canon projector, using a standard apple disply port to VGA adapter. I think the problem is likely something different from simply "it's apple so it's flaky" - lot's of people connect apple products into a/v systems. Not that I'm any apple expert, personally I'm a PC man al the way.

Cable length? It's possible the iPad struggles to drive longer lines that a good professional laptop can drive ok.

The system is a large 450 seater state of the art installation, it works fine with everything else including mac computers. It has inputs on the lecterns for external laptops etc which are fully amplified and properly distributed and can handle 4:3 or widescreen images at 1600+ pixel width,this is the second time it has refused to accept & display output from iPads we just can't figure out why?

Cable length? It's possible the iPad struggles to drive longer lines that a good professional laptop can drive ok.

signal only goes 1 metre before the DA!

That's the resolution, not the refresh rate. The refresh rate will be 50Hz, ^0Hz, 65Hz, 70Hz etc ...

so well within the system capability. Apple products tend to be very flaky for external connections due to their "intelligent" display ports which interrogate whatever is connected, if they don't like what they see they tend not to output, this is great if you are plugging a monitor onto it, but if it's a system with DAs, interfaces etc it tends to be a bit hit & miss!

My partner had absolutely no problems connecting her mac book pro to a canon projector, using a standard apple disply port to VGA adapter. I think the problem is likely something different from simply "it's apple so it's flaky" - lot's of people connect apple products into a/v systems. Not that I'm any apple expert, personally I'm a PC man al the way.

Sorry, refresh rate is 60Hz

We don't usually have problems either with anything else but this is the 2nd time a presenter has turned up with an iPad and both times we haven't managed to get an image, it seems to beexclusively a problem between the iPad and this installation.

I can say though that whenever we have a problem interfacing (which is a rare occurence), it's usually an Apple at the centre of it all, no problems at all with PCs.

Have you got the correct EDID presented at the VGA connector? We've had problems with Mac equipment that can't see the correct EDID. (If you plug a laptop in, does Windows know what resolution to output, or does it give you the choice of everything?)

Philip

Which app on the iPad are you looking to run ?

We had this issue the first time we tried to hook an iPad up to an external display. It's just not a simple as plugging in a VGA cable and away you go. The app you want to show on the external display has to have the video output switched on.

The easiest way to check is to use something like the YouTube app - this shouldn't have any issues with driving the external display

Hope this makes sense!

Older iPads and iPhones will not mirror. This is the most likely problem. As mentioned above, the Youtube app is a good way to test for signal.

FWIW, tying a presenter with a iPad or iPhone to a lectern with a cable is not really state of the art :-) There is a thing called Airplay, and it works (mostly).

+1 for AirPlay, get yourself AppleTV (£80) and hook it up to your system via HDMI. Provided the iPad and ATV are on the same network, your presenter can show whatever he/she wants on your projector while wandering around the stage.

Airplay is good, but needs the newest software update as the older software allowed anyone with an iPhone or iPad on the same wifi to connect to it, kicking the first user off.

I have done it in a venue where there was several presenters using iPads, so I got the new Apple Airport Express, placed at the lectern for maximum signal, connected the main network via the WAN port (for internet access), and then plugging the Apple TV into the network port (via a network cable back to control, which allowed me to pull the network cable going between the Apple Airport Express and Apple TV, for about 10 seconds, disconnecting the previous user. In the Airplay settings for the Apple TV I set the 'Onscreen Code' on so that a code was required to be put in when a user connects. This meant that other presenters couldn't accidentally kick the current presenter off the screen.

On the A/V side I had a second vision switcher for the preview monitor, which had the same inputs as the main vision mixer, which allowed me to put the Apple TV on the preview monitors to allow the presenter to see the code to enter on there iPad.

The majority of the time there wasn't two presenters in a row using iPad's, so it was easy to get the next speaker to come to control, and enter the code and make sure it was connected okay. Once there was two in a row, and it took approximately 30 seconds between pulling the network cable (to disconnect prev user) and the next user being able to connect.

As far as I understand it would be possible to use two Apple TVs and flip flop between them if fast changeovers were necessary.

Ideally you'd then want to double up the WiFi access point, to ensure theres no lag. due to WiFi network collisions.

Fair point, it might be prudent to run each as a wholly independent network.

Might have a play with my raspberry pi and a wifi dongle and see what I can come up with, there are airplay libraries already built, then just need to route back over to the LAN port for Internet.

Though once you price in a case and psu there isn't much price difference, but it would be a one box solution.

Archived