Showtec Indigo 4600

norty303

Has anyone had any practical experience of the 4600 yet?

I know that the 4500 had problems with the light engine breaking, but they seemed to be pretty good fixtures for the money aside from that.

As the most touted change is regarding the light engine (half the power, 20% more output) I wondered if this was now looking like a decent fixture (in the price bracket)

The 4600 is a decent fixture, although I did prefer the build of 4500 in some ways (I had 6 of them).

Even the 4600 is likely to be replaced soon (by Plasa I'd expect) however as a result you should be able to get a decent discount on them.

My 4500s have been relatively trouble free except the light engine in two of the earliest ones (which was easy to swap out) also did have a faulty gobo wheel sensor in one when it was delivered - which was swapped out without any problem.

Yes, I've unfortunately seen more quality control issues than you're likely to get with the likes of Martin or Robe - but there's a huge price difference and, for the price, I think they're pretty decent fixtures.

[Full Disclosure - I am connected with a company that sells the products discussed above]

I have a couple and I quite like them. They are light weight and very quiet except for the rotating prism which gets a bit noisy as the speed increases. Brightness is decent. Close to MSD-250 I would say. I had an gobo wheel issue on one that was down to a loose connector. Not too keen on the choice of gobos though.

Agreed on the gobos, they seem to have removed some of the worthwhile ones from 4500 and replaced with less useful ones (like the circle of dots for example). In fact a circle of any type will almost definately be on the list of 'wants' (maybe a classic Goldenscan/Miniscan one)

Are the gobos the same size for the 4500 and 4600?

I see a lot of Chauvet 260/Indigo 4500 sold for spares, I wonder if its cheaper to reclaim gobos from them than having them made up?

That said, I guess gobos for LED fixtures can be made up out of alternative materials. Small scale 3D printing perhaps?

Archived