8 in 8 out MIDI interface needed

paulears

I've been running an M-Audio Midisport 8x8 MIDI interface for years now, turned on 24/7. As many people experienced them failing - I left mine turned on, and it's been trouble free - until yesterday where it stops talking to the computer via USB, which is sadly a common fault. I can't seem to find anything to replace it with. M-Audio no longer do the rack mount 8 ch version (I wonder why?) and I can't find much out there apart from the MOTU - but it's too expensive. Anyone got any suggestions - second hand would do, but can't even find one on the usual sites? 4 channels out is not enough, I need at least 7.

I've been very happy with the Focusrite Sapphire Pro 40 on a Mac - I understand it gets pretty good reviews generally. That's firewire, but the Scarlett 18i20 looks like an almost identical USB version, about to be released.

I've been very happy with the Focusrite Sapphire Pro 40 on a Mac - I understand it gets pretty good reviews generally.

The Sapphire appears to only have one midi out?

Oops, I completely misunderstood the requirement. I read the requirement as an 8in 8out audio interface with MIDI. Sorry!

Thanks for the PMs folks - I've responded directly. Peter pointed out that there are some good serial devices out there, but I have a lot of Carillon 19" rackmount computers I use for audio and video, and on the machine I need to look at, the new motherboard doesn't have serial - however, as the machine has a tape transport style panel on the front with real buttons (from an early machine) I tried a serial card and the result was lots of glitching - which I couldn't solve. The later transport panels use midi, but that panel is on the video machine annoyingly. There are a few MOTUs on ebay, but most of those have serial connections too, and just not sensible to try. I suspect the best thing to do is to wait until another M-Audio 8x8 turns up - because Cubase stores interface details with each song, so every song loaded back in needs manual editing of MIDI assignments if I do get something else. Rather a pain really, this one.

At the risk of offending readers, I'll just say

Thanks

Paul

That's what happened on the card serial interface - I'm recording multichannel audio and the old Tascam interface I used (with half the track count as the new system) just played up when the serial interface was used - just tiny glitches, clicks and pops. The system is very stable now, so I'm keen not to mess things up.

Archived