One button midi controller.

peza2010

Evening all. Lampie in the enemies camp!

Ive just been pricing up a new audio playback system for one of the shows I work on, and the last piece of the puzzle I need to work out is a simple way of allowing the drummer to trigger the playback pc which would be offstage.

Ive basically got it down to the fact I want to use midi, but im struggling to find a nice simple, midi PLAY button.

just one button, that is rack mountable to send out a single midi note.

have tried google, but cant fight off all the software rather than hardware that appears in the results no matter what I try.

any ideas?

cheers.

Evening all. Lampie in the enemies camp!

Ive just been pricing up a new audio playback system for one of the shows I work on, and the last piece of the puzzle I need to work out is a simple way of allowing the drummer to trigger the playback pc which would be offstage.

Ive basically got it down to the fact I want to use midi, but im struggling to find a nice simple, midi PLAY button.

just one button, that is rack mountable to send out a single midi note.

have tried google, but cant fight off all the software rather than hardware that appears in the results no matter what I try.

any ideas?

cheers.

It's pretty common, if the drummer is triggering the playback to do it with an actual drum pad. I have seen it done where the actual "GO" trigger was the 5th hit on the pad so he could start a count off and if the lead decided to talk more he could bail out and start again.

Mac

It's pretty common, if the drummer is triggering the playback to do it with an actual drum pad. I have seen it done where the actual "GO" trigger was the 5th hit on the pad so he could start a count off and if the lead decided to talk more he could bail out and start again.

Mac

I did think about the drum module and pad route. The one very slight annoyance is having to run power to him for no other reason than to power the module but I can get over that.

in terms of the "ohh dear its gone wrong" as mentioned above, is that I was going to use the single button as a play/pause. the playback computer will be sat with the vidiot in the wings, so upon seeing a pause happen, could be prepped to resetting the track manually. Not ideal, but do able, as in theory - when this is all up and running, the video side of things will be self triggered via timecode.

to be honest. now I think more in depth, the rackmount part isnt actually important. as all that would need to be in the rack, would be the button, as the in ear rack, which he has racked with his player at the moment could be racked in the amp rack.

Thanks for your replies.

What software are you using? If it allows hot keys then why not just hack a USB keyboard open, wire a big push switch across the key you decide to use for play (or the key the software uses by default) and stick it all in a nice neat box? Much easier and cheaper than a midi pad, as long as you can do a spot of basic soldering.

I did think about the drum module and pad route. The one very slight annoyance is having to run power to him for no other reason than to power the module but I can get over that.

One can purchase MIDI cables that carry power as well as MIDI, intended mainly for the pedalboard market, but I've happily modded them to drive all sorts of MIDI things, including an Alesis Control Pad, which would be exactly the type of thing you are looking for. I use the Rocktron 5 to 7 pin MIDI cable and get them from an Amazon retailer.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41TZT81RQFL.jpg

They have, as their name implies, a seven pin plug on one end, and a five pin on the other, with a little flying lead handing off which is intended to plug into a wall wart connector. Swap the wall wart in for the right power jack, and build a box with seven pin, five pin, and power in jack connectors. An easy solution.

If you get a guitar midi pedal not unlike Rolls midi mate it will run quite happily from a 9volt battery if you make an adaptor ie take the end off the fly lead as illustrated above and solder on crown and button connnector nb a lot of the rolls stuff especially the earlior ones can be powered down the midi cable itself .

Also found this from Kenton if you want to build your own

Quick ebay search found this but get your skates on!

Archived