geriatric mover trips during homing calibration

WiLL

Hi chaps,

I'm currently performing a Dr Frankenstein on a pair of old studiospot 575s in my rig. One has malfunctioning focus and tilt stepper motors and the other had a pan sensing error. So I've removed the known good pan encoder sensor and pan sensor from the one with the dodgy motors and have put them in the other unit. It's now panning happily, however before it completes its calibration sequence upon powering up it seems to 'trip', flashing gibberish up on the display, going dark, pausing a second and then starting the homing sequence from the start again. As if the power supply had momentarily been switched off then on again.

So I opened up the base unit again and checked all the connections on the power side, found one live pin was not fully inside the plastic connector so pushed that back in and now it is firm again. Re-checked all other connectors, gave it a good visual inspection once all the boards were back in place and all looked good. However the fault persists.

Now this is annoying as 15 minutes before the only fault had been the pan error, the unit woulc complete its homing sequenece and then sit there displaying the error, now it doesn;t even get that far.

My next approach will be to try swapping the whole power board from the other unit and see if that has any effect, but I was wondering if anyone has any tips on what this fault might be?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived