Behringer X32 and S16 Issue

ferretwrangler

Hi, seeking some advice please!

We have just bought an S16 for our X32 mixers. Got to a gig yesterday for the 1st use of them combined. We plugged up the S16 on a 100m VDC Cat6 cable and the synched the S16.

Great! Got noise in and out - for about 5 mins - then sync dropped and no response at all - we changed cables etc no joy.

So we moved to output B to try that - partial success with intermittent recognition of the S16 - Connected then not. Then not at all.

So I can therefore summarise that either the S16 is dead, or the X32 is dead or an unfortunate combination of the two.

If anyone has any suggestions as to what else to try or where the fault may be Id be grateful. I have contacted Behringer support also.

Thanks in advance.

Hi

There is one other possibility. Cat6 cable isn't the same as Cat5 or Cat5e and has a greater twist rate (meaning a greater physical path length). I can see in the S16 specs that Behringer mention 100m over Cat5e so you may want to check again using Cat5e. The EIA/TIA standard for Cat6 recommends maximum runs of 100m for network use and it is likely that all protocols for audio transmission are more critical on length than standard networking uses because of latency considerations.

Phil P

I haven't been in a position to try an S16 with the x32 yet but I bookmarked this recently just in case:

http://forum.behringer.com/showthread.php?853-BEHRINGER-Tech-Talk-01-S16-and-X32

behringer's more detailed 'how to' for S16's. it's probably not in the least helpful (again it does mention only cat5) but thought I would post it anyway, just in case it's useful for someone.

The very nice man at Behringer I spoke to confirmed that essentially you plug the two together and hold config button down and roll the mode knob all the way to the left till 1-8 is displayed for the 1st unit or 9-16 for the 2nd (if using 2). They should then be visible and link. From there its just routing. However we have no comms at all between the two units so something is sadly bust. We will find out what very soon when the new S16 arrives from Studiospares. (who incidentally havent rung back yet after 5 hours)

The very nice man at Behringer I spoke to confirmed that essentially you plug the two together and hold config button down and roll the mode knob all the way to the left till 1-8 is displayed for the 1st unit or 9-16 for the 2nd (if using 2). They should then be visible and link. From there its just routing. However we have no comms at all between the two units so something is sadly bust. We will find out what very soon when the new S16 arrives from Studiospares. (who incidentally havent rung back yet after 5 hours)

Hi Jonathan,

Please let me know how you get on with your replacement S16. Should you require any further assistance then please feel free to contact me here or via the email you have received from our UK CARE centre.

Kind Regards

Jim Knowles

CARE EMEA / Tech Support

MUSIC Group / BEHRINGER

Archived