Interior Summer Morning and Afternoon

vinntec

I have a show coming up with a box set which is an interior of a principal's study including a gigantic window upstage. With limited resources, I want to get as close to making it look like summer morning inside (and in background outside the window) and summer afternoon. The back of the set is close to the back wall but I can probably just about get some direct light through the windows using a pair of wide angle profiles for morning scene (and just light the background for the afternoon). For a box set I would usually use a double fan but as we don't have limitless resources probably in a McCandless way with warm and cool on either side (towards window warm which is angled slightly and away from window cool). So these are the questions I would appreciate advice about:

• I presume best to light the backdrop in something like L103 (ground plus sky) plus possible some blue L079 from above to make the sky stand out, supported by a groundrow.
  • Light through the window and angled backlight L103 also.
  • Area light inside the room is more of a challenge due to the big window and backdrop as usual too close behind. However if I could get away with McCandless fans, what two colours to use? Should it be L136 Lavender with levels adjusted either side to get best face lighting and allow the window and backlight to say it is a summer's day? Or should I go for something more like L103/L013 + L201 on either side?
  • If I have to use a four angled approach, so main light is straight on and easier to barndoor more accurately, what colour mix would work now? L103 from upstage but what about front and sides?
  • There are no booms possible on stage or FOH, but pipe ends could be used (the theatre is small so a single pipe end could cover most of the width).

I don't want a design just some thoughts on what others have done in the past which has worked for this sort of problem.

Thanks -- Peter

Looking back at my earlier question it does sound like "how do I design it?" Let me rephrase it using my design decisions so far:

Light through the bay window will come from USR about 1m upstage (which is the backwall) and will be L103 (although could be N/C or L764). The window is angled at about 10 degrees towards SL but sunlight is about 55 degrees to SL. Downstage of the window will be backlight L103 angled at about 10 degrees to match window (or could be to match sun direction, not certain yet). Main lighting will be pairs of fans repeating from FOH, LX1, LX2, and LX3. The question is what colours to put in these fans? Something like L013 and L201 might be appropriate. The SL side of the fan is closest to being opposite to sunlight direction, so in real life would be the most in shadow so reflected light L201. SR side is closest to reinforce the sun so L013.

This is the bit I am unsure about as intuitively it doesn't sound right! Maybe it should it be L013 and L103 respectively, or maybe L013 and L136, or maybe both L136, or maybe L136 and L052? I am just wondering what combination has worked for other people for this kind of situation when sunlight is coming from an upstage window and room needs to look as if it is lit completely by this.

Thanks -- Peter

In case anyone is interested, this is the design I have made which will be rigged in two weeks time:

• Morning sunlight through the window and angled backlight on stage L159 (as Alister suggested and which I have).
  • Afternoon sun through window and angled backlight on stage (other way) L013.
  • Late afternoon sunlight through window from stand L015 (and afternoon backlights dimmed).
  • Facelights in McCandless fashion L013 (L103 from FOH) and L201.

In a theatre without booms, this is by far the simplest solution.

Peter

Archived