Roland M-480 Remote for m-400?

lxkev

I really hope I've got this wrong, because I'd love to do that! But......................

It doesn't! There is no way of getting the M400 (or M380) to work with this, nor will it in the future from what Roland have told me. For one thing, these two desks have different features to the M480.

Roland were less definite about the M300, so that may be in the pipeline.

The explanation I was given was that the M400 has much less processing power than the M480, so can't accommodate the changes necessary to make the iPad remote work.

Your other option, of course, is hooking a laptop up to the desk via USB, and accessing that via a VNC on the iPad. Not quite as slick, but OK for quick changes on the move.

I don't speak directly for Roland, but do work very closely with them and have had this conversation a few times....

The latest I am aware of is:

• The M-400 features a completely different chipset to the M-480 and would require a major rework of the WiFi protocol to be made compatible. Due to the fact that the M-400 is a discontinued product, and was discontinued quite some time before the concept of an iPad remote interface was on the table, Roland will not be developing a version to work with the M-400.
  • M-300 I am less sure about. At one point I was told this was in development, though quite some way off, but since then the noises have been less positive so Roland may have dropped this now but I don't know for sure.

In both cases a workable quick fix is to setup a remote control PC (via USB) which you could control from your tablet wirelessly using some kind of remote desktop/vpn thing. I've seen this done a few times, it's not as elegant but does achieve the basic working concept.

........setup a remote control PC (via USB) which you could control from your tablet wirelessly using some kind of remote desktop/vpn thing. I've seen this done a few times, it's not as elegant but does achieve the basic working concept.

I do this quite a lot and although it does work, the VNC usually has a noticeable amount of latency, which is a problem for ringing out monitors. Also, you still end up with a bit of software that's not particularly "pad" friendly.

Archived