How to hang AKG CK80 (in HM1000)

howartp

Hi,

I've been doing sound untrained for years, then went on a course in summer, and it's my first chance to use my new knowledge to iron out those squeaks, pops and ouch's that creep into our annual Panto far too regularly - helped by the purchase of four EQs which previously went over my head other than the 3 EQ pots on the board channels.

We've had two AKG CK80 modules in HM1000 handing modules for a couple of years but not got much out of them - so my question at this point is, which way up should they go?

I know they hang at (say) 45 degrees with the end of the mic pointing towards the stage, but does the 'pointy' bit go on top or bottom?

____________\

or

__________/

(I can't draw at 45', but you get the idea)

Any help appreciated.

Peter

There's a very unclear drawing on Page 38 of the manual suggesting that you want the point at the top because the pick up pattern is skewed to be around the flat end rather that even around the whole mic. Whether this is true or just some artist getting it wrong, I don't know--so some experimentation is recommended.

The CK80 has an 80deg off axis pickup pattern. Essentially if you hang it with the little holes that are along one side facing down then you will pick up in front and underneath the capsule. Imagine a line straight down from the mic and then one just off horizontal and it's about that. It's the second of your two drawings.

The comical diagram in the manual is generic I think.

Thanks for all your replies - for some reason I didn't get notified of them even though I'm subscribed to the thread, so apologies for not responding sooner.

I'll have a play this week.

Peter

Archived