Dmx to D54 recommendations

Doug kelly

We are looking to buy a DMX to D54 convertor.

Does anyone have any recommendations and are there any to avoid.

I have very little experience of D54 so would welcome any advice.

Mr Stone we are looking at your convertor at the moment.

Not really many to choose from - Compulite is more popular than artistic licence - but doesn't have some of the extra features. In most cases though, you stuff it in a rack and forget it! Not gadgets to get excited about - bit like choosing a brand of gas meter.

actually, just one comment. I didn't realise when I bought mine was that there are two versions one DMX TO D54 and the other D54 toDMX - the compulite I got was by luck! the right one. I assumed wrongly, they did both.

p

actually, just one comment. I didn't realise when I bought mine was that there are two versions one DMX TO D54 and the other D54 toDMX - the compulite I got was by luck! the right one. I assumed wrongly, they did both.

p

The Compulite unit is designed as an installation unit and therefore you buy it one way around or the other - makes it cheaper than the competition, but less flexible.

It still amazes me how many of these units we sell, must still be a hell of a lot of D54 kit out there :D

• 1 year later...

Apropos of nothing much except something to keep in mind:

if you're trying to use your desk in a theatre that has a Strand 500 console, you can use the console as a (quite expensive) DMX -> D54 converter by going in the 'DMX IN' connector and out of DMX. Console has to have the Communique software so that it supports DMX IN, but given that it works quite well.

Rob.

Archived