Comms headset impedance.

gyro_gearloose

We've got an ageing collection of Tecpro and Beyer DT headsets at work, and several of them need repairing/replacing. I know I can get all of the individual spare parts from Canford, but for the price of one Tecpro loudspeaker I can get a complete new headset from places like CPC. However I have noticed that on some headsets the speaker and microphone impedance is, in some cases, nowhere near that of the Tecpro headsets. My question is: will this make much difference to how the headset operates? Will it be too loud, or the mic overly sensitive? Or the complete opposite?

We've got an ageing collection of Tecpro and Beyer DT headsets at work, and several of them need repairing/replacing. I know I can get all of the individual spare parts from Canford, but for the price of one Tecpro loudspeaker I can get a complete new headset from places like CPC. However I have noticed that on some headsets the speaker and microphone impedance is, in some cases, nowhere near that of the Tecpro headsets. My question is: will this make much difference to how the headset operates? Will it be too loud, or the mic overly sensitive? Or the complete opposite?

Been there ... First, the CPC headsets are nowhere near as robust. You need to be prepared to replace them regularly.

Tecpro type comms units will drive just about any headset impedance. However I think they do need dynamic mics - I don't think they work with electret mics.

Archived