music venue/ club NEED ADVICE

alan1180

Okay I've been asked to get some lighting shizzle for a music venue/ club. There are bands playing from 9pm to 12 then from 12 until 4am there are DJs. The lighting I have in the venue is 2 generic par 64s as face light for the stage, 4 LED par 56s and 4 disco movers. The disco movers are stand alone sound to light for whilst the DJs are on but I need a controller to make the LEDs go from static colours and chases to sound to light in an easy to do way. The desk I have at the moment does it but it's complicated to say the least.

Any recommendations for a desk would be amazing! :)

If the LED 56's have got a 3CH Mode in them, May I suggest something like the ADJ RGB 3C Controller? Dead easy to use! and fairly bullet proof.

If your LED par's have got 4Ch (Master dimmer, RGB) then try looking around for another brand of this controller, they are available under quite a few brands.

How big of venue and what money are they willing to spend and is there someone to op the bands and club? As smaller venues are not happy to pay for a op and you cant do sound and lighting if the sound tech is busy. £500-£1000 will get you Martin Lightjocky and Showcad they are systems I tend to put into nightclubs and if setup right are great as yo control can be given to the DJ with a midi keyboard . or put the moving lights on a martin 2510 less then £100 and get a 24ch American DJ Scene Setter 24 for about £130

• 3 weeks later...

Can you tell us more about the venue? Capacity, stage, what are they willing to spend, etc.

Does the club have a designated stage area? Depending on the dimensions you're better off having the LED pars as face light and then getting some more regular pars in for the back... They look more rock and roll anyway. ;)

Do the LED pars have DMX switches on the back? Most Zero88 desks accomodate that, you just program it in as you want. I use a Zero88 Fat Frog at one of my venues and an Avolites Pearl at the other and both are easy to use but pretty expensive to buy and to hire over a long period of time.

Martin LightJockey is great for clubnights, coupled with a touchscreen it makes it really easy for the DJ to do their own lights, plus once you get your head round it it's fairly basic to set up.

I'd recommend finding more movers if possible, ten or more is usually a safe bet, budget allowing.. DJs sometimes carry their own equipment so if they have an in house or regular DJ it might be worth asking to see if they have any equipment they'll be willing to lend or let you hire or if they have a place they hire from.

Archived