m400 - group insert?

lxkev

Hello

I was just after some advice on the roland m400, I'm currently running a show with 20 radio mics, the director has a lot of the cast standing directly in front of the cabs! Thus a lot of ringing out on the graphic, which in turn is making the overally sound a bit thin....

The M400 has DCA, but no sub mixes, im using 13 auxs for mointors, 1 aux for c-mix, 1 for fx, leaving one aux spare..... I have no physical inputs left on the desk....

What I would like to do is shove all the radios mics down a sub mix, insert a graphic (internal or external).....suggestions on best way of doing this on a m400?

Very straightforward (as long as you don't want to be able to pan your radio mics). This assumes you're sending your radio mics to the L/R and C buses;

Unassign your radio mics from the L/R and C

Send each radio mic at unity to the empty aux (on the M480 there's an option to set a user key to set a channel's send for the selected bus to unity, not sure if you can do it on the M400, but it doesn't half speed things up!). Check that the empty aux is post fade, post EQ.

Select the aux master on layer 3 and route it to the L/R (and C if needed).

Go to the effects section and set up a graphic EQ as a bus insert on your empty aux.

You should now have that graphic EQ across your radio mics.

You need never touch the bus master, just set it at zero and forget about it, just carry on using your DCA's. You're just using it to group all your audio together so you can process it.

Unless I've missed some limitation of the M400, I'm pretty sure the above should do what you want. It's certainly how I'd do it on my M480 and they aren't that different.

And to add; 13 auxes for monitoring! Flipping heck!

Archived